Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What matte paper for B&W black only printing, not expensive

What matte paper for B&W black only printing, not expensive

I'm looking for a correct/good matte paper for printing b&w images out of my Sinar F2 new camera. I'm using a R1900 Epson printer with Quadtone Rip for Black only printing. Of course photo rag paper are excellenet but expensive for test printing. I have some archival mat paper, find it a bit to soft in the black.

What "everyday" mat paper are you using ?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: What matte paper for B&W black only printing, not expensive

Epson, but I'm a novice to digital printing.

Thomas

Wich Epson ? Archival mat or enhanced mat ?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by esox View Post
    Wich Epson ? Archival mat or enhanced mat ?
    Enhanced Matte Paper (Formerly Archival Matte Paper) I bought a 50 sheet pack of this paper back when I bought the Epson 2200 - around 2004 or 5. After spending 7 years in storage with the original ink installed the printer is up and printing flawlessly.

Thomas

Octogenarian

Epson "Enhanced Matte" paper is now called "Ultra Premium Presentation Matte" paper.

I use it exclusively for B&W printing with my Epson 3880 printer and K-3 inks.

Once the print is framed under glazing, it's difficult to tell whether a $4/sheet paper, or a $1/sheet paper, was used to make the print.

That paper has outstanding D-Max with K-3 Matte Black ink.

I prefer Epson's Hot Press Natural.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You mean that my archival mat is in fact enhanced mat ?

Do you know about EPSON SOMMERSET VELVET ?

Since you apparently use QTR (I assume that's what you mean when you say you use "Quadtone Rip") and since you're concerned about cost I'd suggest trying the least expensive of the matte papers for which QTR provides curves. There aren't that many, something like 5 or 6 IIRC.

FWIW when I used matte papers with QTR I mostly used Moab Entrada Natural which is one of the matte papers for which QTR supplies curves. I don't remember how its cost compares to the other papers QTR supports but I don't recall that it's real expensive. I also used Epson Velvet Fine Art and it's a very nice paper but expensive.

The Epson paper you mention hasn't been called "Archival Matte" for many years. They changed the name to "Enhanced Matte" years ago and then changed it again to Ultra Premium Presentation as Gem mentions. Supposedly it's all the same paper, just different names. Epson's marketing plan apparently is to create maximum confusion among potential purchasers.

As an aside, I didn't realize you could print "black only" with QTR. I used to print black only many years ago, before QTR came along and before Epson made inks that were suitable for black and white printing. But QTR and current Epson inks do such a great job with black and white that I abandoned that method some years ago. I'm not suggesting you do the same, just a little surprised that QTR supports black only. Or maybe you aren't referring to QTR when you say you use "Quadtone Rip," in which case you can disregard most of this response to your question.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

You can set up QTR to just use the three black inks, so if you wanted to, you could print 'black only'. That takes some configuration to do it, because none of the stock profiles are set up that way anymore (I think there used to be some that were BO versions if I recall, but I haven't seen them in a while). In the end, you really don't want to use the stock profiles for much other than a departure point for customization to match your personal desires/needs.

I wouldn't print BO with Epson as the inks are quite green, and I think unsuitable for that approach without adding some magenta to get them closer to neutral (unless you like green prints).

I would suggest to the OP that they consider Red River paper... there are a handful of matte papers, and the prices are quite good. They make a cotton paper as well, the price is much more than the basic alpha paper, but if you want that quality, it is probably the cheapest way to make a 100% cotton print.

60# Premium Matte Plus is nice. Fairly white (OBA) base.
    Green Pix is very nice, natural finish, warm, and I think no OBA's.
    Aurora White and Aurora Natural are their cotton-based papers. I love the Natural. No OBA's if I recall correctly.

---Michael

I would suggest you make friends with a paper distributor. Hahnemuhle has a special this month, lots of rebates, pretty good amount, might even bring it low enough to compete (you could also test the 188 weight). Distributors always have specials. There are always odd lots, and things where they sold everything but one roll, etc. If you were here I would suggest Jim Doyle of Shadesofpaper.com. He has been terrific to me and because he sells to many of the top printmakers and gets feedback from them he can be also be very helpful. In France I would imagine you have wonderful things and many fine paper suppliers. I think you just need some help... from a friendly distributor.

Crane's papers can be very nice and Canson as well. Many of the best papers come from Europe, whether it be Germany or Italy or France.

There's no need to use Epson paper. I have boycotted them myself, at least for the supplies. I don't like what the company has done to our market. But that's another story...

Best of luck,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing