Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruising fer snaps

Kevin Kolosky

Cruising fer snaps

We have all read much about the so called "creative process". How does one person see and then photograph a masterpiece while the other person drives right past the same thing because they didn't see anything there. How does one person see a good photograph in a bunch of trees while the other person just sees a bunch of trees and passes on by. Or vice versa. How do some people make and show lots of photographs that just don't seem to cause any reactions in people. Duds would be a good word for it.

Lately I find myself going out and, as they say, "cruising fer snaps", meaning looking for meaningful photographs in the natural scene (as Ansel used to say). And I get so damn frustrated becasue I will waste a half tank of gas (not so cheap anymore) and not see a damn thing. But when I sit down in the evening and look at this site, or photo books, or the internet, or videos of so called great photographers, and I will notice photographs of things that I saw while I was on that ride. And they are beautiful photographs. Photographs I would have liked to have made. But I didn't see it when I was there.

Well, enough of my troubles. How about you? When you go out looking for photographs what is your mindset. Do you say to yourself I will make a lot of exposures of everything that looks good in the hopes I will get a good one or two, or do you pass on by a lot of things that you later think might have been good.

Do you listen to music while you are driving around. What do you think about, or maybe not think about. Are you looking for certain types of things or just taking what is given to you. Do you like to go by yourself or with someone. If you go with someone do you look at their groundglass and they look at yours.

I would like to hear what your mindset is when you are trying to be (or are being) creative while you are out there driving around cruising fer snaps.

Re: Cruising fer snaps

I like to take pictures nearby, or within a mile's walk, of where I am.

The trick is to make "where I am" somewhere interesting.

Your title immediately reminded me of Zappa's Cruisin' for Burgers, maybe it will help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6eEEmtZUP0

The majority of my photography is project driven, I don't cruise hoping that inspiration will strike. I always work alone as I find being with other people to be distracting. As far as mindset goes I try to keep my mind as empty as possible—not too hard considering—and SEE. Easier said than done, of course, and it takes time. I often stand around simple looking—photographs are everywhere waiting to be discovered. I often know when I have something as I have a physiological response when I find images. I can't describe it really, but I get sort of a tight and tingly feeling in my chest. OK, no jokes you guys....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

From a technical and artistic point of view, I avoid the cruising for subjects after 10:00am to about 4:00pm or later. When the light is high and poor, it's much harder to recognize that a scene, or clump of trees, or old building or crumbling cityscape have much promise. But, when the light is low and dances across or through the subject, things start to jump out and demand attention. Inspiration usually follows very quickly.

For me, light is always the subject and what it enhances becomes a bit secondary.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Kevin Kolosky

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    From a technical and artistic point of view, I avoid the cruising for subjects after 10:00am to about 4:00pm or later. When the light is high and poor, it's much harder to recognize that a scene, or clump of trees, or old building or crumbling cityscape have much promise. But, when the light is low and dances across or through the subject, things start to jump out and demand attention. Inspiration usually follows very quickly.

For me, light is always the subject and what it enhances becomes a bit secondary.
    Interesting, and I know what you mean about lower light. But also interesting to read Ansel and look at his photographs. He often comments that he was trying to capture the mood of the "blazing sun".

The term 'cruisin' for snaps' was likely invented by Fred Picker. Despite the random nature of the search that it suggests, it's not quite true. I've done a fair amount of it myself, with limited success at best, now I try to work more deliberately. So here are three ideas:
    1) Have some subject matter in mind.
    2) Go there when the light has possibilities.
    3) Get out of the car and walk. Photographs are rarely seen from behind the wheel, and even more rarely stopped for.
    Of course there are exceptions to those rules, we can probably think of some famous ones, but it's a good place to start.

Just my own personal taste, but I think his most successful images were often ones with either the light at a lower or at least side angle such as "Mt. Williamson", "Winter Sunrise", "Moonrise, Hernandez", "The Tetons and the Snake Rive", "Aspens, Northern New Mexico" ; or the ones, like "Tenaya Creek, Dogwood, Rain", "Lake and Cliffs","Redwoods, Bull Creek Flat", or his epic "Clearing Winter Storm" where his images were stunning compositions he could pull out of light with almost no direction or force. Only a few of his "blazing light' images really move me such as the stunningly back lit "Old Faithful" and the compositionally stunning "Church and Road, Bodega, California".
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Good images are hard to find. AA said "If you get one good one a month, your're doing good." Sometimes, though, you do get lucky. On a Sunday 2 weeks back I was driving around looking for B&W "snaps" with the P67II and got 3 on the same roll!!! Didn't realize how good they were until I printed them.

Thomas

(Shrek)

Leave the lf gear at home, go 'cruising for snaps' with a digi p&s or a cell phone. Instant feedback and no perceived cost in pressing the shutter. I find it frees the mind to stop thinking about 'photography' and start thinking about 'images'. I personally use a bunch of crap old 35mm cameras, with expired film stock, because I still need to learn a lot about developing, too.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The last time I was out "cruising for snaps" a few weeks ago, I noticed that I kept looking at things and thinking to myself, "Oh, that would be clich,", i.e., it's been photographed before. But how many concepts haven't been photographed before? Especially when it comes to something on the face of the earth. So if I ignore all negative thought, clear my mind, and just photograph what gets my attention, then I will photograph things that key into me. Of course, some stuff I've photographed just because I needed to dump film, and those turned out to be really interesting. But with LF, I never "need" to dump film, that only happens with roll film.

One thing that works for me is doing something cheaply, and not worrying about the outcome. Like bicycling around a neighborhood. This works best with neighborhoods that were laid out with alleys in the back of the houses. People don't keep those neat and tidy, so there's bound to be lots of shapes to photograph. And when I'm doing it, I'm on my bicycle, so I don't worry about gasoline cost, and it's easy to prop the bicycle up against something, out of the way.

So basically, the best thing to do is just go and photograph, no worries, no expectations.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans