Thread: Toyo 45D good camera to start or not?

Toyo 45D good camera to start or not?

I just bid this outfit on E-bay, I think I did OK, but not sure. Anyone know if this was an OK deal for $355.00 ? Thanks. This is my first view camera and hope I can learn from it.

Toyo/Omega 45D 4x5 camera Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 135mm f5.6 in a Copal shutter 0 (cable release threads are stripped but still work great) Toyo focusing glass with barn doors (360 degree rotation) Kodak Professional Readyload film back poloroid land film back Focusing Hood Cloth Focusing Loup Grey Card Cable Release Two Len Boards Soft Carying Case (case has some marks on it but no tears or holes) Instruction manual

Thanks again

I think it would be a good idea to resell the lens, since it lacks enough excess coverage to enable you to use your movements freely. It really belongs on a camera like a Crown Graphic.

Selling a lens along with a view camera is ususally a mistake from the seller's standpoint. Too many people would like the lens but don't need the camera, or want the camera but already have the lens(es) they would use on it. On the other hand, sometimes this provides an opportunity for a buyer who is willing to accept the nuisance of reselling one item. By subtracting the amount gained by sale of the unwanted item, the desired item may turn out to be a real bargain.

Probably the best way of finding out what an item ought to cost is to search eBay for completed items. Since, however, you already have made the purchase, I think the best idea now is to Use it, enjoy its capabilities and learn from it.

I wouldn't sell the lens. It should be perfectly good for a learner, for landscapes, tabletops, interiors, exteriors of moderate height buildings, sports, groups, full-length and bust portraits, just not for head-shots.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Any working view camera and lens combo for $355 that gets you started is likely a good deal. Although the relatively small image circle of the 135mm Xenar will present limitations, try it for a while and see what you can do with it.

Now that you have taken the plunge here is some reading that might help you

There are several articles in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web page

www.viewcamera.com

here are some books

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Using the View Camera that I wrote for Amphoto.

All/any should be available from Amazon.com

If you live within striking distance of Montrerey, CA we are doing a conference on large format photography April 23-25, 2004. The trade show and one of the field trips is free.

steve simmons www.viewcamera.com

Thanks for the info.... I take it that this lens has a small image cirlce so I will not be able to use much front or back tilt with it? I figure I would want to use it for some landscape shots, city shots like in New York ( guess I will be hurting for tilt on tall Bldgs.?) and some interior shots like a living room or kitchern kind of shots. Will I be able to get any of these kind of shots with this lens? I know I'll have to give up some serious dough sometime for a lens, but want to be able to get some practice.

Thanks again..

Rear tilt will not be a problem, and many prefer rear to front tilt for landscapes as it tends to emphasise the foreground. However, your main movement for buildings is likely to be vertical shift where you will unfortunately hit problems if you are trying to keep verticals parallel because of the small image circle of the lens.

Don't forget the home page of this forum: www.largeformatphotography.info where you will find shed loads of information.

Cheers,