Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan

I'll be traveling through Saskatchewan next month (on my way to Denali NP in Alaska) and would value any suggestions of interesting locations - photogenic, scenic, historic or otherwise from any forum members to the north. Out of the way ain't a problem. I may swing by Grasslands NP on the Saskatchewan/Montana border - any knowledge of this location? Also, is there a Canadian province equivalent of the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer series of atlases of the US states? Thanks - Chris

Re: Saskatchewan

You should reach out to Jan Normandale via flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jann/) ... he's an Ontarian, but knows SK pretty well. He has more stuff that he hasn't posted, so don't let the mere two pages of images tagged Saskatchewan fool you.

Quote Originally Posted by civich View Post
    I’ll be traveling through Saskatchewan next month (on my way to Denali NP in Alaska)...
    Hi Chris, do you mean that you’re driving the entire distance?

Montana border to Mount Denali? Is it one-way, or a round trip?

Also, how many days are you planning to be away?

I'm from Saskatchewan. Check out the Great Sand Hills in south western part of the province near Sceptre. Cyprus Hills, south of Sceptre, fields and fields of canola, wheat. Also, keep your eyes open for ghost towns and old Ukranian orthodox churches, many of them abandoned. Still many grain elevators, too. There's the Big Muddy, which is part of Grasslands National Park.
    Not sure about a Canadian equivalent to DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer series, but you can download topo maps. I always got by with regular road maps from roadside petrol stations. Good luck!

... Also, is there a Canadian province equivalent of the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer series of atlases of the US states? Thanks - Chris
    From Alberta to Denali NP "The Milepost" will serve you well. Also, consider the scenic but bumpy Denali Highway shortcut from Paxton to Cantwell when traveling to or from Denali NP.

Hi folks,
    Thanks for the replies and info. If there is some place in particular you find yourself going back to again and again - that's the kind of location that draws me. The sand hills area sounds intriguing - I'll be going through the Nebraska sand hills on my way north so the comparison may be interesting. I've heard of "The Milepost" and will be using it - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Hi Chris, do you mean that you’re driving the entire distance?

Montana border to Mount Denali? Is it one-way, or a round trip?

Also, how many days are you planning to be away?
    Heroique, Driving round trip from Oklahoma, tenting all the way (strictly low-buget and up close), a month to a month-and-a-half anticipated. I expect to see lots of prairie - Denali is just a goal - its mostly about the travel.

I also, of course, will be going through Alberta, BC, Yukon Territory, maybe even touch on the NW Territories. Doing a bee-line on the Alcan hwy is not my intention - significant side trips are expected. I hope to avoid the constant driving mode and do some day tripping a-foot - so any treasured foot trail suggestions of one to two day trips will be valued. Thanks again for your time and info! -Chris

...Tenting all the way (strictly low-buget and up close), a month to a month-and-a-half anticipated...
    That’s how I like to travel, and I bet you come back w/ plenty of Big Sky landscapes (think Jim Kitchen). Of course, Jasper and Banff NPs are “on the way,” so maybe you can bring back some of the Rockies for us, too. Be careful of surprise August-September snows, and the sleepy-eyed grizzlies of course. Sounds like quite an adventure!

While you are admiring the big sky country of Saskatchewan, watch out for monster mosquitos! The best time for photography is early morning and early evening. The time between that you cannot escape the wind.

If your timing is right, consider a side trip from Haines Junction toward Haines (at least to the pass). I've driven this road three times in the past year and with the exception of the winter trip (scariest driving of my life) the landscape has been quite beautiful. Just two week ago conditions at the pass were still very springlike; the flowers should be very nice by mid August. You'll see many grizzlies along this stretch. (There is no gas available along the Haines Highway but there is an unattended station in Haines Junction providing gasoline 24/7.)

Kluane NP is a real gem. North of Slims River, on the western shore of Kluane Lake, there are many unmarked camping sites on the lake shore. Once again, there are lots of grizzly along this stretch, but the sites offer some beautiful views.

As of two weeks ago the roads from Haines Junction to Anchorage were in very good shape. There is a stretch west of Destruction Bay that is being worked on - it's dusty and a bit bumpy, but very drivable. I lucked out and hit this section on a weekend when no work was being done.

Heroique's warning of snow reminds me that you should avoid the Denali Highway in September unless you're sure that the weather won't support snow. A few years back a family camped along the road...for the rest of their lives. Also, sometime in early to mid August this area becomes overrun with hunters.

I hope you have a safe and productive trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    While you are admiring the big sky country of Saskatchewan, watch out for monster mosquitos! The best time for photography is early morning and early evening. The time between that you cannot escape the wind.
    The tale has it as, "Two young mosquitos from Saskatchewan were carrying a cow over Manitoba. One asked the other, Well, shall we take him home to Saskatchewan? The other replied... Whaaat? and let the big guys take him away from us?"