Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens Recommendation for circa 1905 Korona 8 x 10

Post Lens Recommendation for circa 1905 Korona 8 x 10

I was given a circa 1905 Korona 8 x 10 view camera. The bellows had been replaced in the 1980's and everything else works great. I want to replace the original Wollensak lens with a modern lens as it is expensive to purchase and develop these 8 x 10 color transparencies (but they are gorgeous!). The lens board has a 2-1/2 inch mounting ring attached to it, and the Wollensak lens\shutter just screws into it. I am guessing that the threads on the mounting ring are fine or extra fine because there are about 4 threads per 1/4 inch (about 16 threads per inch).

Can anyone recommend a relatively modern lens for less than $500 (probably used) that will fit the 2-1/2 inch mounting ring?

Thank you,

Tim

Re: Lens Recommendation for circa 1905 Korona 8 x 10

Tim-- Congratulations on the new Korona. The normal practice is to have each lens mounted on its own lens board. A lens should come with a flange or retaining ring and you'll need to find a new lens board, have it drilled out, and get the lens mounted. There are a lot of possibilities for modern 8x10 lenses under $500. The Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar is a favorite around here--and should cost around $400 for one in good condition. The 300mm Schneider Symmar-S or 300mm Rodenstock Sironar-N lenses are also great lenses and probably run around $300. Once you get a lens, I recommend a guy on eBay, zbima1, for fabricating and drilling a lens board. There are also some forum members that also provide this service. Good luck.

First of all, the flange and lens need to stay "together". American flanges from that era are US thread, and modern lenses are all metric.

You'll probably want a modern 300 or 360mm lens in a Copal 3 shutter, and may have to make up some kind of adapter to make the hole smaller, or even just build a new lens board for the smaller shutter.

If the Wollensak is anything interesting, folks here might even want to trade, or partial trade.

If you list the old Wolly on here it may bring at least enough to buy the more modern lens you desire. However, i suggest you keep the Wolly as in time you may find out how good it really is. If you ever make portraits, you will likely find it is superior.
    As for a new lens, be sure the new one has a retaining ring. Making and drilling a lens board is simple since they are wood. Anyone with woodworking tools should be able to cobble lone up for you in 15-20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    ... However, i suggest you keep the Wolly as in time you may find out how good it really is. If you ever make portraits, you will likely find it is superior....
    It depends what the Wollensak is. It could be a wide angle, or a cheap Vinco.
    To the original poster, what does the lens say around the front glass?

Thumbs up Re: Lens Recommendation for circa 1905 Korona 8 x 10

Hi, thanks to all for the very helpful responses.

It is interesting that BarryS suggested a "300mm Schneider Symmar-S," because I have a 210 mm Schneider Symmar-S MC for my Toyo 45C. I thought about trying to use the 210 mm on my Korona, but I though it would be too wide because I generally shoot architecture and some landscapes.

Any other advice suggestions would be welcomed.

My Wollensak is actually a triple lens, in that it has multiple glass configurations.

The following is what I read on the lens:
    Focus 12-1/2 In
    Triple Convertible
    Velostigmat
    Series I
    F 6.3
    No 178292

The f-stop has a triple scale:
    FT - 64 45 32 22 13
    BK - 64 45 32 22 16 11
    EQ - 45 32 22 16 11 8 6.3

There is shutter info too:
    OTB
    1/100 1/50 1/25 1/5 1/2 1
    AUTEX

Also stamped:
    PAT.FEB.6.1900.

Thanks again. Any other advice suggestions would be welcomed.

Your Wollensak is a very nice lens. It's uncoated, so I'd recommend a compendium shade for best results, which should be superb.

Your 210 Symmar won't cover 8x10.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Thank you E. von Hoegh. I wasn't sure if my 210 mm would cover an 8x10 sheet of film. Now I know it won't. But if I got a 300 mm for the Korona, I think a 300 mm could also be used on my Toyo 45C?

I really don't plan on using my Wollensak lens because a sheet of 8x10 color transparency is $15 and another $15 to process. I only photograph these 8x10 color transparencies for exhibitions. I display the transparency with an even-lit Logan LED light pad, so I want to use a modern lens for the Korona.

I would rather the Wollensak go to someone that will use it. I don't think this would be a good item to try to sell on eBay.

I don't know the rules of this forum, but if anyone would like to discuss some sort of trade I would be interested in being contacted off list.

Thanks again for all of the information.

Quote Originally Posted by PghArtist View Post
    Thank you E. von Hoegh. I wasn't sure if my 210 mm would cover an 8x10 sheet of film. Now I know it won't. But if I got a 300 mm for the Korona, I think a 300 mm could also be used on my Toyo 45C?

I really don't plan on using my Wollensak lens because a sheet of 8x10 color transparency is $15 and another $15 to process. I only photograph these 8x10 color transparencies for exhibitions. I display the transparency with an even-lit Logan LED light pad, so I want to use a modern lens for the Korona.

I would rather the Wollensak go to someone that will use it. I don't think this would be a good item to try to sell on eBay.

I don't know the rules of this forum, but if anyone would like to discuss some sort of trade I would be interested in being contacted off list.

Thanks again for all of the information.
    You Wollensak, although it is uncoated, has only four air-glass surfaces. Used with care, it can give excellent results on transparency film. I have used an uncoated Dagor with transparency, and was very happy with the results. Obviously, an uncoated lens in no substitute for a modern coated lens, but you might want to try it once or twice under low flare lighting and with a good lensshade.

Of course your new 300 would be useable on the 4x5. The 210 might just cover adequately for closeup and tabletop subjects.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Greetings from another Tim.

Velostigmats are nice lenses and the one you have, being a triple convertible, gives you three focal length choices. You might want to visit Cameraeccentric.com and go to their info link. Seth has put together a site with a good many different vintage catalogs including several on Wollensak lenses and there is a good deal of detail on the varieties of the Velostigmats.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg