Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what color film did sally mann use for her mexican landscapes?

Re: what color film did sally mann use for her mexican landscapes?

Quote Originally Posted by codyjgraham View Post
    I don't understand why you're so against the images? Just because they're not techniquely perfect? She wasn't named Americas best photographer for no reason
    I like her images fine but she is hardly America's best photographer even if such a pronouncement was credible instead of being complete bullshit. I respect her and her work but fawning over her considered and calculated sloppiness seems at least as vapid as whatever the dogged but boring perfectionists waste their time doing....

As for which film, I have no idea but suspect it would be color neg and some really beat-up, scratched and funky old Brass lenses. The kind that Eddie and Galli drop and drive their cars over. She probably buys a dozen mint ones and then sits around sandpapering the glass to get that just ever so perfect degradation.

Quote Originally Posted by codyjgraham View Post
    I don't understand why you're so against the images? Just because they're not techniquely perfect? She wasn't named Americas best photographer for no reason
    If that's the case, based on the two images posted, I'd hate to see what America's second best photographer comes up with.

Beginner

I've been wondering as well.

You don't get those colours from bad, beat-up lenses. It's the film or the darkroom. The first one the OP showed doesn't seem overexposed at all, but it still has those extremely soft and subtle colours, so I guess it can't be that?
    Rød grød med fløde.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

she could of hand coloured them.

one thing i can say is they may not sit well with all the lens polishers, but stick a big print up on the wall and it may give your room a mood, a certain mood, a feel, yes, maybe she is trying to create a mood over any thing else, maybe she is just bored to death with strait shooten, maybe she is going blind...

there is also a big trend at the moment to do the whole polaroid washed out impossible look, its all over the fashion mags, you know the whole 70's revival, lace, polaroids, well here in oz any way...gee i hate it that ozzy dead beat ozzbourne stole our country's name.

to hell with the yanks, they cant sing or take photo's!
    through a glass darkly...

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Seeing the shots for the first time makes me wonder if you're asking so that you can avoid ever using it?
    It isn't my cup of tea either but I respect what she apparently was trying to do and what the images are intended to portray.

"Working with color film, Mann focused her camera on the fragmented pyramids, palaces and stelae which appeared through the haze of the sweltering heat. In her photographs, we feel the oppressive humidity as we wander through dense foliage stumbling upon temples now inhabited by the forest. Through muted colors and an antique camera lens, Sally Mann has captured the energy of the Mayan culture which vanished more than two thousand years ago. Whether standing alone along a shrinking shoreline or next to a tree branch growing through the foundation of a Mayan pyramid, one is
    constantly aware of nature's power to consume years of history, reclaiming places of worship, commerce and ambition. Through Mann's images, we witness the transformation of a place once teeming with human presence into an area resonating with ancient history."

http://www.edelmangallery.com/archive20.htm

I haven't liked any of her work from "What Remains" forward. To me she went off the deep end with that book and hasn't resurfaced. But then there are many photographers whose work I don't personally care for but who I nevertheless respect. She's one of them.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    She was using a Kodak negative film. Since they were done in 1999, that film is now long discontinued. Portra 160 would be the closest replacement.

She was called America's best photographer for her "Immediate Family" series. "Yucatan" is not that series.
    Yucatan was also more recent then 1999

Finally some one with sense and respect!

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    Ha....so glad you guys said what I was thinking about the images......I had similar thoughts in my head but decided that 'if I can't say anything nice, that I shouldnt say anything at all.'

But of course to each their own.....I'm sure many people like them.
    Had I produced images like that, I'd be embarrassed to let anyone see them. I've never "got" the whole Sally Mann thing.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

pretty sure Ozzy is from Birmingham - England!

So people from Birmingham can't sing either? Ozzy did play a pretty mean guitar when he could still remember how.

Quote Originally Posted by David Higgs View Post
    pretty sure Ozzy is from Birmingham - England!
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!