Thread: Vintage Photography Magazines?

Vintage Photography Magazines?

What all magazines from the past do you know of? I am interested in looking for magazines from the 20's through the 60's. Modern Photography and Popular Photography are of little interest because they were too advertising oriented. I have the complete collection of "The Complete Photographer" and I have several old issues of "Practical Photography" (and looking for more). What else can I be watching for?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: Vintage Photography Magazines?

You might be interested in issues of Camera Craft magazine.

loujon

Hey Micheal

You can set up a Google books account and fill your library with Photographic Magazines that date from 1860's through the 1930-40's. Look for "Full view" and searches such as Camera , Portrait lenses, Studio lighting so on and so on. I have over 900 photographic books and magazines Photo Beacon, Photograms, Photographic News, New Photo Miniature,American Amateur Photographer,Wilsons Photographic Magazine,Photographic Times. As you can see there are many. I believe that many of the magazines can be purchased from different venders as well as free digital copies for many many books and Mags.

funkadelic

Michael,
    If you'll cover the cost of shipping a medium USPS Priority box, I'll send some your way.
    Send me an email and we can exchange details.

Chris

The classic ones in my opinion are Album UK, Aperture USA, Camera, Lucerne; Creative Camera, UK; Cliches, Belgium; Infinity USA; Photography, UK ed Norman Hall - These are the ones in my collection from 1950s to 1970s

Thanks for the various suggestions. I didn't realize there were THAT many. I've ordered a couple of issues of Camera Craft from an Amazon vendor and am scouring for some of the others. The Google books account sounds interesting as well. I'm going to have to check that out.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Michael, don't be quite so down on MP and PP. Starting in the early '60s, MP (formerly Minicam Photography) became very useful. Not so much for LF, although they had some good columnists, but very helpful for learning about smaller format equipment. When I was starting out in Super 8 I found their S8 equipment reviews very helpful for understanding what the cameras did and which were likely to be good. Both MP and PP ran what were really tutorials on about a two year cycle. Again, when I was starting out I found MP's very helpful. As for the ads, well, I liked and like to look at them. Tastes differ ...

You might want to chase BJP Annuals.