Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gray image has color even when eye dropper says none

Re: Gray image has color even when eye dropper says none

I think Bob has a great point and I think it's confirmed to a point given that differing papers affect the result.

May be an example of metamerism, too.

Although I have had B&W prints that I really like on RC and from inkjet, when compared to neutral silver prints there has been a difference.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Guys the problem is that other files using the same profile, printer and paper are dead neutral. The rip software I use is StudioPrint 14 and the profiles are not stock manufacturer ones but custom made ones, using the ColorGPS software included in StudioPrint. The profile building consisted of linearizing the color print out to get the maximum gradation, that is reading 48 patches of each color and then, printing another linearization and fine tuning the gradation, and doing this 4 times. Then printing out and reading 2200 patches of just about every color mix you could imagine. Trust me, on other files, it's dead neutral. The paper is Canson Fiber Platine. It seems a very neutral paper, and other images printed on it appear neutral. But this file is clearly sepia.

Is there any way to edit the color information tagged to the file? Because while the file reads neutral in PS, it does not appear dead neutral on the screen or on a print. I'm thinking that some instruction attached to the file is giving the hardware the wrong information.

I just checked the color using the Mac's digital color tool, set to CIE LAB, I get L 33.962, A- 0.297 and B- -0.391. i some places

Set the readings to 8 bit to get your a and b numbers its probably set in 16bit right now.

You should only be getting 0 .. when I read your file I only got 0's in ab

At this point you could adjust colour on the printer to get more neutral if the cast is global, or you could go back into PS and colour correct by looking at the print and ignoring what your eyes are seeing on screen.

Or go back to original scan or process and restart.
    Wish I could help more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Guys the problem is that other files using the same profile, printer and paper are dead neutral. The rip software I use is StudioPrint 14 and the profiles are not stock manufacturer ones but custom made ones, using the ColorGPS software included in StudioPrint. The profile building consisted of linearizing the color print out to get the maximum gradation, that is reading 48 patches of each color and then, printing another linearization and fine tuning the gradation, and doing this 4 times. Then printing out and reading 2200 patches of just about every color mix you could imagine. Trust me, on other files, it's dead neutral. The paper is Canson Fiber Platine. It seems a very neutral paper, and other images printed on it appear neutral. But this file is clearly sepia.

Is there any way to edit the color information tagged to the file? Because while the file reads neutral in PS, it does not appear dead neutral on the screen or on a print. I'm thinking that some instruction attached to the file is giving the hardware the wrong information.

I just checked the color using the Mac's digital color tool, set to CIE LAB, I get L 33.962, A- 0.297 and B- -0.391. i some places

It sounds like a bug in Photoshop. I'd contact Adobe or browse their forums.

Make a white Solid Color layer and set the blending mode to Color. Re-save the image and see if that fixes it.

Patrick, that didn't seem to help, but here's something interesting. I imported the file into light room, and when I checked under white balance it said it had been saved "as shot", and then clicked on auto, in auto the color shifted on the screen image to the sepia coloration that it was printing as. Mind you, "as shot" looked fine, neutral, but under auto white balance it looked like the prints came out, seriously sepia.

If you are just looking to save the image Brian, maybe neutralize it in Lightroom then export it and see if that fixes it for printing. Perhaps the creation of a new file will get you around the corruption.