Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gandolfi Precision 4x5 w/ case, lenses and several backs.

Brad

Gandolfi Precision 4x5 w/ case, lenses and several backs.

Haven't been on the forum for over a year, so excuse my lack of introduction. But I have my old profile filled out.

I am considering selling my 4x5 Gandolfi (w/ numerous accessories). This camera has been with me for over forty years and she has quite a bit of family history. Hasn't been used in years, and for it's personal connection, I've held on to it only as a keepsake. I know I never will use it again and as I get older would love to find a good home for it. (I'm not an ebay person, or regular seller of equipment - just an older photographer with too many keepsakes).

If the (For sale/wanted) LFPF is the right venue, I will gladly post photos and a list of original accessories. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - James (Brad) McCourtney

Re: Gandolfi Precision 4x5 w/ case, lenses and several backs.

HI Brad,

Valuing Gandolfi cameras in the states is tough...it is not a well known name here. There was a sweet 5x7 gandolfi precision in great condition (that was recently CLAd and had some very useful modifications) that was listed here in the classifieds not long ago. The asking price was about $1500 - I don't know if it sold or not (you might have an easier time selling yours though due to the fact that it is 4x5 which is a much more popular format than 5x7). You might want to check out completed auctions on ebay UK (you'll find more Gandolfi cameras in the UK vs the states) and see if any have sold recently - that will give you an idea of realistic used prices. As with any used item - condition really affects price.

As for the value of the lenses - do a search in the classifieds here and see if any similar lenses have been sold and for how much (as well as performing a completed ebay auction search).

Personally I would give the forum classifieds a shot before sending it to ebay. Ebay has been becoming more and more of a pain as far as high fees and seller protection are concerned. If it doesn't sell here ship it off to the bay.

Brad

Thanks "Dap".

As I mentioned, I'm not an ebay person or particularily interested in listing there. I did do some research on past sales and they varied. I will continue to do a little bit more. But, ideally would love to sell the camera, case, backs, lenses & holders etc as one item. And would love to sell it to someone who either really appreciates it or would love to continue using it. It's really not about the money (though I could use it) but, more about finding someone that cares. I purchased all these items from Fred and his brother in Peckham in 1969, all with the original case. At the time, the camera was two years old and Fred refurbished it with leather bellows and changed the tri-pod screw socket to a 3/8". I'm not in a hurry, but she's been sittin' under my portfolio shelving for some time, and hoping for a new home.

Cogito, ergo sum

I always dream about a Gandolfi 4x5. I shoot mostly 8x10 portrait with vintage lens so not many movements needed. So I'd like a 4x5 vintage camera with movements to do some Ansel Adams's lessons. After many research I know all I need is a Gandolfi 4x5 . But probably it's always in my dream... always.

Anyway, post some pictures of her. Let us see how beautiful she is!
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

Brad

I want to give it 24 hours on this post to make sure it's OK with the forum moderator to switch over to the "for sale" section. Over the weekend I will take some shots of the camera and accessories and post the lengthy details. Again, I'm hoping to find somebody that cares and would continue, hopefully, to use it. I did some great 'ad' work, in my early career with this camera and would love to see it go to a good home. Also, I am going to try to make it affordable.

funkadelic

There's really nothing to approve. Go for it.
    As long as its within the forum guideliines, there should no problem. Use common sense, provide a good description, detailed photos, an asking price and you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by James B. McCourtney View Post
    I want to give it 24 hours on this post to make sure it's OK with the forum moderator to switch over to the "for sale" section. Over the weekend I will take some shots of the camera and accessories and post the lengthy details. Again, I'm hoping to find somebody that cares and would continue, hopefully, to use it. I did some great 'ad' work, in my early career with this camera and would love to see it go to a good home. Also, I am going to try to make it affordable.
    It's absolutely OK. You've been here more than 30 days, therefore you have access to the "For Sale" section.
    I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures, wish I could afford a Gandolfi.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Here's why they are so desirable:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...lfi-5x7-Camera
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by James B. McCourtney View Post
    (I'm not an ebay person, or regular seller of equipment - just an older photographer with too many keepsakes).
    I can appreciate what you are saying here, and this venue in the classifieds would probably give you a good response and a fair share of people who recognize Gandolfi as a high quality camera... at least from it's original pricing and marketing. I suspect that was the case with real life experience.

However, I teach eBay classes, and have bought-sold primarily photo gear for about 8 years now. eBay is a strange phenomena, and not nearly the "devils pit" so many think it is.

Right now, Large Format is enjoying a strange and rising price market.

• First, it is the largest single marketplace for exposure of any product IN THE WORLD. Seriously. (WELL OK, other than the US as arms dealers to the world.
    • Second, It makes no difference if the buyer knows what a Gandolfi is, if you promote the product properly.
    • Third, poorly designed and timed ads on eBay can be price disastrous.
    • Fourth, a well designed, timed and presented listing can deliver very surprising (good surprise that is) results on price.
    • Fifth, eBay can be as secure a way to sell anything, if you know the security procedures. eBay is very safe for someone who adheres to certain ways of doing things on eBay.
    • Sixth, eBay is a factor of 10 better than Craigslist, which is only local market and infested with hackers, spammers, and fraud.
    • Seventh, eBay is rather anonymous, ie no phone calls, no direct email contact, if you follow the rules everything is through the eBay system.
    • Eighth, eBay is generally between 11 to 15% posting and final value fees, which is by far less than any photo shop would commission to self for.

Last, Large Format gear is in those cases I mentioned bringing outrageously high prices currently, as I would presume a Gandolfi would gather. Can't remember the last time I saw a Gandolfi on eBay, but I suspect there are people out there looking for them and running searches on eBay. The people who seem to be getting top dollar are simply listing quite high prices on a "fixed" price - No Auctions - and waiting out the market. As we used to say in the car business... There's a Butt for every Seat. A smart seller, who is under no financial pressure to sell, simply responds to a lot of interested Butts, until the one who fits comes along.

So, while I don't expect to change your mind on eBay, I do say you are overlooking the largest target audience you may find, because there is so much LF activity on eBay presently. Whatever the research tells you on pricing... pick the average and add 10-15% if you want top dollar and if that satisfies you. If you are, in fact a philanthropist, seeking to do good for someone, figure out the average and deduct 10 to 15% and get it to a "good home"

Now, let me tell you about "Good Home" buyers. Someone seeking to benefit by your philanthropy will actually be someone who sees making a few hundred dollars on the deal. They will be camera dealers and people like myself who buy low merely for the sake of selling high. That's the nature of many of the responses you get, no matter where you deal... here, local advertising or eBay. Do yourself a favor and spend about 3-6 months getting the highest dollar you can.

Disclosure: Simply advice here! Presume you will suit yourself.

Brad

Thanks Kuzano for your seasoned advice.

Hopefully I did not talk this 'camera scenario' up too much. This Gandolfi precision 4x5 is not a pristine mint condition outfit. This is a clean 'working' camera in good condition with some unique features and unusual accessories. Though, for a restorer it could easily be part of a small re-hab project for that interested collector.

This weekend I will post (with photos) in the for sale/ wanted section.

Thanks to every one for their replies.