Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Lightroom if I have PS?

Re: Why Lightroom if I have PS?

Oh well, thats fair enough. It does use much less room than PS layered tiffs.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    Shurely it is a 16 bit editor, it understands my 16 and 48 bit tiffs. Perhaps you are a worn out professor, but try putting your cap back on and backing up your argument with facts.
    You are mixing up bit depth definitions. LR edits are done in a 16-bit/channel RGB mode, i.e. 48 bits in total. It is capable of working on 8-bit/channel (24-bit) files, 16-bit/channel (48-bit) files, as well as 32-bit Floating Point TIFF files (since version 4.2).

Cheers,
    Andreas
    To infinity - and beyond...

Here's a question, I am under the impression that Lightroom is for use with mainly digital files. If you shoot large format b&w neg's as I do, and scan them into PS, will LR invert them for you to a positive so you can start to edit? OR do you have to do your inverting and setting of levels first before you can import?

I understand that LR is really not the best tool for large format photographers because of all of the extra steps you have to go through. Dose anyone use LR with there large format neg's? And if so what is your workflow setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard A Johnson View Post
    Here's a question, I am under the impression that Lightroom is for use with mainly digital files. If you shoot large format b&w neg's as I do, and scan them into PS, will LR invert them for you to a positive so you can start to edit? OR do you have to do your inverting and setting of levels first before you can import?

I understand that LR is really not the best tool for large format photographers because of all of the extra steps you have to go through. Dose anyone use LR with there large format neg's? And if so what is your workflow setup?
    I invert my negatives in my scanning software, VueScan, which exports images as DNGs (digital negatives), TIFs or JPG. I don't use Lightroom to scan images and am not sure if it will anyway. I've never explored to find this out. I use VueScan to do all my scanning and Lightroom to do my modifications to the DNG or TIF file I export from VueScan.

I don't know what you need.

But I need both LR and PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    And if not what does Lightroom do best as compared to PS?
    The auto mask feature is extremely powerful and useful for me.

Makes light work of what is tortuous in PS. Painting edits(essentially painting on a layer mask) is very intuitive for me, and then being able to erase them back again.

The Shadow, Darks, Lights, Highlights sliders are very powerful. Essentially selective global curves editing.

I would hazard a guess as to why LR is so different than PS. One it is very young. PS has 20+ years of revisions stacked into it. Second I am pretty sure it started out as a mere plugin to PS, then got bought up quickly by Adobe. Virtually all other products that Adobe puts out now started as another software from a competitor or partner.