Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Lens for 8x10

Re: First Lens for 8x10

I use a Turner-Reich Triple convertible with a Packard shutter. It works fine with black and white, and even better with green x-ray film. Green x-ray film is similar to an Orthochromatic emulsion, which was used extensivly at the time these lenses were made. I use an 80 speed film, and a 2 1/2 X yellow filter. That's about a speed of 10, or 1/10th of a second on a bright sunny low humidity day of a bright colored subject, between 10 am and 3pm normal time. Since I never shoot scenes that meet those criteria, I end up with 1-10 second exposures. Nice thing about x-ray film, as all Ortho fim is, you can develope under a red safelight. If you want to use Panchromatic film, I reccomend Tri-x with a stronger filter.

Tri-x is a more contrasty film than many other films available today. I know 320asa Tri-x is multicoated (with different speed emulsions) and shoot it at 200 on my light meter which helps contrast even more. Have to develope it in the dark, though. I don't know if 400 asa tri-x is made the same way, as I've never used it. Two films, one ortho, one panchro is enough to keep straight in my somewhat limited brain. The good news is green x-ray film is 34 cents a sheet. The bad news is Tri-x is more than 10 times as expensive.

Jim at Midwest can certainly steer you in the right direction.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White