Thread: Longevity of Processed Film left in Sunlight

Longevity of Processed Film left in Sunlight

I was at the local art supply shop earlier this week and was was looking at some interesting picture frames which, instead of having a backing board, sandwich your photo between two panes of glass. This got me to thinking that these could make a very interesting presentation of 8x10 transperency dupes hung within a south facing window. My concern is the longevity (i.e. color fastness) of the film media exposed to such conditions - does anyone have any experience with intentionally exposing finished films to sunlight? Can I expect a few months or a few years?

really it depends on where you live, and the intensity of the UV you are subjected to. I would test it for the particular window you plan to use. The published literature is for a specific amount of UV for a specific amount of time and really has very little to do with where you live. Kind of like BW film speeds it all depends on your specific conditions.

Color transparencies left out as you describe will fade very quickly. The dyes are not permanent. Kodak makes a number of color display materials, Duraflex and Endura, meant for the kind of use you have in mind. They are made to work like color paper; that is, you start with a color negative, not a transparency.

"Color transparencies left out as you describe will fade very quickly. The dyes are not permanent. Kodak makes a number of color display materials, Duraflex and Endura, meant for the kind of use you have in mind. They are made to work like color paper; that is, you start with a color negative, not a transparency."

you can run both "papers" from a scan so it doens't matter if it's negative or transparency to start with. And you could do the scan to include the film edge/rebate so it looked like an 8x10 transparency. You would also then get lots of control over the colour/contrast/saturation etc.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Ilford also makes a color display material that goes through the same chemistry as regular ilfochrome, which can be printed directly form a transparency, if scanning/digital isn't the route you'd like to go.

Peter