Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150mm Sironar vs Sironar-N vs G-Claron

150mm Sironar vs Sironar-N vs G-Claron

I have been thinking about getting a new lens and have been going back and forth between a 150mm and a 210mm. Today I am leaning towards 150mm. I have a good idea the differences between the Sironar-N($425) and the G-Claron(~$150) but now I have seen a Sironar for sale for $299. How does this compare in quality to the other two lenses - assuming all of the lenses are listed as in excellent condition?

I honestly think that one would be hard pressed to tell much difference unless you made giant prints(40x60) then examined them with a loupe, any contrastr differences can be compensated for in the darkroom. What is more important is usability! Weight? Overall size(how well does it fit your setup) What kind of shutter? AND which focal length is going to give you the most flexibility for YOUR vision. HAve Fun

I

The two Sironar lenses would be in standard Copal 0 shutters. The G-Claron would be in a Copal press shutter. The lens I buy will be a replacement for a 127mm Ysaron so I would think that all three would be a considerable step up in sharpness. I am very happy with the Ysaron at 11X14 but not as happy at 16X20.

G-Claron. But you should also look at the rest of your system because the 2 127 Ysaron's I've played with were both rare earth glass and incredibly sharp. You may not get the gain you're looking for because of a breakdown somewhere else in you reproduction progression. That said I'll back-pedal a little. The 127 should be very sharp in the center and fall off out in the edges as it's a tessar that you are requiring to use all+ of it's circle. The 150 G-Claron would be excellent out to the edges even on a 5X7.

I have been thinking about getting a new lens and have been going back and forth between a 150mm and a 210mm. Today I am leaning towards 150mm. I have a good idea the differences between the Sironar-N($425) and the G-Claron(~$150) but now I have seen a Sironar for sale for $299. How does this compare in quality to the other two lenses - assuming all of the lenses are listed as in excellent condition?

--Edward (Halifax, NS), 2004-02-09 08:49 AM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have not tested them but I would suspect the Sironar would be better than the G-Claron. The Sironar is a more sophisticated design.

steve simmons www.viewcamera.com

Thanks for the replies.

Jim,

the Ysaron has produced some pretty sharp transparencies. I have had a couple of them scanned and printed to 11X14 and have been very happy with the results. One time I have had a 16X20 made from a same transparency as a good 11X14 and the results were very disappointing. I have just gotten back a couple of transparencies that I am very pleased with and am tempted to send them out instead of using the local lab. As for coverage, I have pushed to the edge a couple of times but usually I don't use much in the way of movements. One of the shots I got back on Friday was a straight f/32 shot with no movements. It was waaaaay to cold to dicker around with movements (-45 with windchill).

I assume you are looking at used lenses, unless you have found a really cheap deal on a new Sironar N. You might also consider the Sironar S which has greater coverage and therefore allows more movements. They are superbly sharp also. I have one for my Shen Hao. New they cost more than the N, but you might find a used deal somewhere.

I'm pleased with my G-Claron. I don't feel restricted by having to close it down to at least f/22 for infinity, and there is the added bonus that it is a true macro lens for when I want to get in close. I have a 240mm, which just happens to work beautifully on 4x5, 5x7, *and* 8x10. All that and it is the cheapest of the 3 you are considering. But bear in mind I never enlarge beyond 20"x24".

Other factors to consider: size, weight, shutter size, filter size. The Sironar-S takes 49mm filters and weighs only 230 grams.

If you are interested, here is a
    sample image and detail enlargement, taken with the 150 Sironar-S.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 12-Dec-2010 at 05:07.

FWIW, on eBay I sold a Linhof branded 150 Sironar-N (early 1990s) in a Copal in mint - condition for only $365. It was a really nice lens that I paid $485 for last year. I recently bought a newer (late 1990s, with latest graphics) mint 135 Sironar-N with a Copal for only $275. And a 150mm Linhof Schneider Xenar (1960s) in a Linhof Compur with a Linhof lensboard for only $98. Prices are very depressed right now, so check out eBay and stick to known, reliable sellers with good descriptions - you should do quite well. Watch for auctions ending at odd times in the middle of the week when there aren't as many buyers.

I like the 135 to 150 range as my primary lens, although their coverage could be better they do fine for most things (The Sironar-S series has more coverage). The Xenar won't cover very much but considering that the lensboard is worth at least $40, it's hard to pass up a decent lens for only $58!

210s are so popular that they are inexpensive too. I just like to be different so I like to jump a bit longer. Right now I have a 270 Tele Arton (exc+ $165 with a board!)