Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FIlm holder logistics.

Re: FIlm holder logistics.

I have 30 film holders, all with small pieces different colored coded tape with numbers on them that correspond to what film is in them. 6 of them are lightweight and beautifully made Chamonix holders that I bought specifically for backpacking. I also have a small Harrison changing tent but will opt for a bathroom at night if I can.

Re Grafmatics - I have six or eight and I use them often. I do find that if your camera has a Graflok back you should engage it with the Grafmatics as the pushing and pulling can, if you're too energetic, pull it out of the camera. That said, I like them and I use them a lot. I also vote for the numbers but a lot of folks don't like them. They also work great for the occasional hand held shots. They do take some practice and they're heavy. but well worth the trouble.

Emma,

Call on your friends for darkroom use, by which I mean put a post on this site and on APUG asking for darkroom use during your journey - This will make life simple in the places you meet other LF photographers and learn a lot as you travel

Regarding photographers traveling through SW Western Australia, I am very happy to meet traveling photographers and let them use my darkroom providing I am satisfied they know what they are doing and we get on OK

John

The Harrison Pup Tent is a very nice and now essential part of traveling with a 4x5 to me. I also bring a few empty boxes, marking pen, and a roll of tape, storing it all in a large Rubbermaid container so it is not overly compressed except when I use the stuff sack for air travel. Well worth the ~$200, far superior to the cheaper options and more reliable than hotel bathrooms.

I have used Grafmatics off and on for years. The main problem I have had with them is that I tend to overshoot too many sheets because it is easy to slip into motor drive mode and shoot too many too quirky. Seriously, double dark slides slow you down enough that you pace your shooting differently.

I also believe that the Grafmatic's springs and metal septums that hold the film are better at keeping the film flat, especially facing down against gravity as you would for a still-life or pictures of rocks, tree roots, dead animals... (predictable large format subjects).

But there are a few cautions. First, they are fairly simple but you must practice with and test them before relying on them. Any bends in the metal septums that hold the film will cause trauma. And remember that these were intended for press cameras with metal Graflock backs (like Crown Graphics) so a light wooden back camera like yours may not enjoy having a heavier metal Grafmatic inserted. It will probably work fine but you want to check that the back's springs are firm enough to hold it tight and in the right spot, sometimes there can be a slight ridge or obstruction that keeps it from seating properly and you can get a leak. And pulling the slide can also introduce light leaks if you pull back at all (it isn't as flexible as a regular holder). So before committing 100%, be sure to sample and test and see if you can conform your habits to using them properly.

A little beeswax on the sliding sides keeps them happy, along with normal cleanliness. I think they stay cleaner than regular holders too.

Now a bit of truth... I sold mine with my Technika and won't go back. I prefer the lightness of a double dark and also if I do have a mechanical failure, I only ruin one or two sheets rather than six. I have owned maybe 15 to 18 Grafmatics over the years and two have self-destructed in the midst of shooting with no warning. Hopefully my 52-year old parts are as robust as the Grafmatics but stuff wears out and gets brittle and breaks.

I assembled a kit of 25 Toyo double dark slides, selling off the perfectly fine Liscos and Fidelities. The Toyos are truly the finest holders yet and I think I will stick with them for however long film is still available.

I'd travel with 10 holders and a Harrision Pup if it was me trying to keep bulk down, as you can reload mid-day with the Harrison. If it was something like an architectural job and had a real client, I'd bring all the holders I could. But taking 15 minutes to reload at Noon isn't too bad a compromise.