Thread: CNC machined Pacemaker lens boards... Worth the price?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name: ______William Booth

CNC machined Pacemaker lens boards... Worth the price?

Sorry in advance for asking such a specific question here (I also asked on Graflex.org), but you good people have been very tolerant of similar questions in the past, so I will try one more time.

I am waiting on a price quote from SK Grimes, but I am about to mount a 6.5" Petzval (thanks, Eddie) to a Pacemaker Crown and I am wondering whether the CNC machined boards made by SK Grimes are worth the extra money they're bound to cost. It's not a super-heavy lens (I will weigh it when I get home), but it's heavy enough to give me pause in mounting it to a standard, stamped aluminum board. These are the Pacemaker boards with the lip around the edges. For all my other lenses, I use the stamped aluminum boards, but I am just wondering if anybody out there has any experience with these machined (out of a solid block of aluminum) boards or can attest to the strength they provide over the standard ones.

Otherwise, I guess I'll be using rubber bands just to be sure...

Thanks!

edit: On second thought, any advice about mounting heavier/longer lenses to a Pacemaker Crown or Speed Graphic would really be appreciated. So if you can give me any idea at all what sort of weight you can hang off the front standard of a Crown, feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by fecaleagle; 3-Jul-2012 at 16:00. Reason: Added second thought.