Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ratings for camera dealers??

ratings for camera dealers??

How about Columbus Camera Group? They had a "Bogen Salon 6" Studio Camera Stand" on "that auction site" and, when queried about it, they then stated that it wasn't a Bogen and that it might have been cut down to size. Upon further enquiry... they said it would support a 4x5 but would not go into any further details. Perhaps, it's just that they don't realize that there is a weight difference between a Wisner 4x5 field camera versus a Sinar P2.

I'd have hated to have won the bid, received the stand, found that it wouldn't support my 4x5, and had to fight with them to get my money back. In spite of them saying that they would refund the purchase price (sans shipping charges) who needs the hassle? ... especially since it wouldn't have taken them but another minute to answer a pefectly valid question!

In any event, I was prepared to bid but decided at the very last moment not to support them and their method of doing business. They sold it at their initial bid price!
    Life in the fast lane!

We're not on photo.net. There's no prohibition on mentioning eBay, just against selling equipment on the forum or advertising your own auctions.

eBay eBay eBay eBay eBay

See, I'm still here.

In any case I've bought a few things from Columbus Camera Group without incident.

I believe that Cambridge Camera move into the old B&H store, after B&H moved to 34th Street and 9th Avenue several years ago. They may or may not still be at that location (18th between 5th and 6th Ave., I think), I personally would not do business with Cambridge.

That last location just closed. I'm not sure where they've moved since. Maybe they're just on the internet now.

Thanks David...

It was too bad about Columbus because I would have definitely bid on their stand. I've done a lot of buying and selling on Ebay and have a perfect feedback record. So, I was surprised at the way they chose to conduct their communications (especially if one looked at the number of trades they've conducted over the years.)

Having said that, it's surprising to me because some of the people you expect to have problems dealing with, you don't. And, with some of those that you think would be great to deal with, they're not!

I can also understand it if I were rude to them or aggressive in some way... but I wasn't. So, I can only say, perhaps, they were having a "bad week!"

Life in the fast lane...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Many thanks for the prompt replies---AAA has terrible feedback on reseller ratings (thanks M. Briggs) so I will continue to search for a backpack that will fit me Gowland 8x10. This website is the gold standard for courteous and fast help.

Another 8x10" Gowland user! I carry mine in an ordinary knapsack made for laptop computers made by Eastern Mountain Sports, but I'm sure there are many others that will do as well.

I can fit the Gowland either in vertical or horizontal orientation in the padded main compartment with usually a smaller lens and darkcloth folded on top and the rails and tripod block in the bottom. There are straps to keep the camera from sliding into the rails. In the next compartment I can fit up to five filmholders. The next smaller compartment holds filters, meter, accessories and a couple of small lenses. The next smaller compartment holds a 10" WF Ektar and two barrel mount lenses that can use the same Ilex 5 shutter. The small outside pocket holds things I need all the time like a pocket level, hex wrench, cable release, and a few extra washers and screws and such.

Most of my smaller lenses are on Technika lensboards both for compactness and so that I can use them on my Technika and 4x5" Gowland, and I use a Sinar-Technika adapter board on the 8x10" Gowland.

When I travel by plane, I'll usually put the holders in my checked luggage and carry my film in the box(es) on board in the knapsack. I carry my tripod from a strap over my shoulder, but on a plane I check it in a medium sized Tenba TTP case.