Thread: BFA with good darkroom teachers/facilities (for students exchange program)

BFA with good darkroom teachers/facilities (for students exchange program)

Hi,

I have the option to participate in students exchange program next year and learn in almost any school for a semester. Can you recommend a school with BFA program that has good darkroom and alternative processes teachers and/or facilities?

It can be anywhere in the world as long as they teach in English.

The following institutions aren't available (either because the space is filled by other students or won't allow exchange with my school): San Francisco Art Institute, Maryland Institute College of Art, SVA, Slade (London), London College of Communication.

Thanks,
    Omer

Re: BFA with good darkroom teachers/facilities (for students exchange program)

Humboldt State University is working on getting a BFA program started -- right now we just offer a BA. And I am sure that the BFA program will not start next school year. Things do not happen that fast!

Otherwise I would recommend Humboldt State (HSU). But then I do not know about the exchange thing. The California State University system (which HSU is part of) does have an exchange program. I attended a university in New Zealand for a year (1975) as an exchange student from HSU. I am now the darkroom technician for the Art Department at HSU.

We teach a class in alt process sporatically -- hopefully once a year, but we missed this past year. Last semester I did help to give two mini-workshops, one on cyanotype and one on palladium printing, and I gave another on carbon printing. But there is the space and equipment to work on one's own. We have one main darkroom (18 enlargers) and three private rooms (also used for 4x5 film developing). We had a student making gum-bichromates in one of those rooms all last year. But we are an Art Dept and that is our direction. The instructors know a lot about the traditional photographic processes, but are not as strong in the technical realm as one would find at a technical school or commercial-orientated program...but far more open to experimentation and expression. I do not teach classes, but have been printing silver gelatin since 1977 and regularly have been using alt methods for my own work since 1992. We have a lighting studio. We also offer digital imaging classes.

We are in a rural area. Rains a lot. Pace is slow, but strong. Beautiful place. HSU has about 7000 students. The Art Department is about the biggest academic department on the campus. We have three paths our students can take...BA Degrees in Art History, Art Studio, or Art Education (and a Certificate in Museum Practices). HSU is also known for its College of Natural Resources (wildlife, watershed, forestry, planning, fisheries, and so forth). I actually graduated with a BS in Natural Resource Planning and Interpretation from HSU in 1981, worked for the US Forest Service for 12 years (wilderness ranger, counting fish, fighting fires, packing mules, etc) before coming back to HSU as the the darkroom guy in 1991.

Don't know why I got so wordy. But that is part of who we are.

Vaughn

Vaughn I would like to visit your school when I am next in California.. sounds like a good school.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Vaughn I would like to visit your school when I am next in California.. sounds like a good school.
    Just let me know!

Vaughn

Scott Davis

It's too bad you have to rule out Maryland Institute College of Art. They have a very nice program. Have you considered Tyler in Philadelphia? They're part of Temple Univeristy, and they do have a wet darkroom program. And if you want to get into some alt process work but they don't offer it while you're there, Project Basho in Philadelphia is an independent photography workspace/gallery that regularly offers alt process workshops.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Vaughn, Humboldt State University was added to my list. The head of the department approved it and now it's time for the bureaucracy wheels to spin to know whether it is possible to exchange with your school. There is a transfer program for international students so it is should possible.

Greg, the website seems to be down. I can only get to the main page and every other page results with an error... I'll try again tomorrow.

Scott, actually MICA is on top of my list but I have to wait till September to know whether they'll be accepting another student from my school (depends whether they'll be sending another one over here too). I'm waiting since December... Heard some good stuff about the department from an exchange student visiting us.

Does anyone know about OCAD (Toronto) program? The head of the department suggested it to me but he does not know how well the teach traditional methods...

OCAD is familiar to me, we had a student intern with us for two days a week for her last two years of the program. She won the fourth year photography prize and will continue with us for a two year apprenticeship.
    The heads of the photography dept are very dedicated to traditional silver and alt process and are good photographers in their own right.
    The school is well regarded for its programs.
    This school is located in a very vibrant art community and should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Omer Yair View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

Vaughn, Humboldt State University was added to my list. The head of the department approved it and now it's time for the bureaucracy wheels to spin to know whether it is possible to exchange with your school. There is a transfer program for international students so it is should possible.

Greg, the website seems to be down. I can only get to the main page and every other page results with an error... I'll try again tomorrow.

Scott, actually MICA is on top of my list but I have to wait till September to know whether they'll be accepting another student from my school (depends whether they'll be sending another one over here too). I'm waiting since December... Heard some good stuff about the department from an exchange student visiting us.

Does anyone know about OCAD (Toronto) program? The head of the department suggested it to me but he does not know how well the teach traditional methods...

Scott Davis

Omer- if you do get to MICA, look up Tom Baird and try to study with him, or at least hang out in the darkroom with him. He's an amazing teacher and a very colorful character, assuming he hasn't retired yet. I'm a bit out of touch with who's still there, as my time at MICA was in the 1990s, and a lot of the faculty have changed. Another teacher there who is no longer in the Photo department but is quite amazing is Stephen John Philips. Back in the 90s he did a photo-illustrated graphic novel for Marvel Comics - actually, he did two projects with them, one on the life of DaVinci and another about a harem.

Good news! MICA are willing to accept another student for next year so now it's only a matter of sorting my portfolio and application form

Do you know how should I send alternative prints from my portfolio? Should it be the actual prints or a scan of them will suffice?
    (Most were printed with carbon transfer and a couple with gum-bichromate: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2363149&type=3 )

I would think that they would have guidelines to govern submissions. Otherwise they would get a hodgepodge of submissions every time-which would be nightmare for admissions committees. However this is what they state:

"Applicants should submit a portoflio of artwork in one of the following formats:

Digital images uploaded to https://micaundergrad.slideroom.com (preferred method). Please refer to the directions below under "Format for Online Portfolio Submissions."
    Digital images and/or time-based artwork on CD or DVD. Please refer to the requirements described below under "Formats for Digital Portfolio Submissions on DC/DVD."
    35 mm slides
    Photographs"
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"