Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8X10 negative holder

8X10 negative holder

I have a Besalar 45 negative holder called the Negaflat for my Besalar 45M, it a pplies tension to the negative and keeps it very flat, does any one know if they make this for 8X10. Or any other suggestion that might be usefull, I'm conside ring building a 8X10 enlarger from an old Elwood 5X7. Also if you're using the kit to convert the 45 to 810 I'd like to know what you like of it. Dave

8X10 negative holder

The only carrier like that I am aware of is Zone VI's "out straight" 8x10 for the Zone VI enlarger. It's also available in 4x5 and used to be made for 5x7. You'd probably want to get the carrier before designing you adaptation.

8X10 negative holder

I constructed an 8X10 negative carrier for a horizontal enlarger. I used two sheet of plate glass in a hinged wood frame. Aside from the need to dust carefully all the glass and negative surfaces, I am thoroughly pleased with the performance of the carrier. I have not had a problem with newton rings.

8X10 negative holder

Dave--I have an old Elwood 5x7 out in my storeroom. I'd be very curious to know how you plan to do the conversion. If you are successful, I'd like to publish the story of how you accomplished it on my web site, as well as build one for myself. Keep us informed.

8X10 negative holder

I use a fotar 8 X 10 enlarger in my dark room, It takes a glass negative carrier, consisting of a piece of jenna optical glass and anti-newton glass. I,m certain on could be constructed quite easily using two pieces of metal (alumimun) one atop the other, the bottom opening slightly larger than 8 X 10 and the top at 8 X 10 the negative is sandwiched between the two sheets of glass and nested into the cavety of the top piece of metal, if you could get a look at a fotar holder you would see how simple it would be to construct. Chas. Beseler co. also makes an 8 X 10 negative holder for their 8 X 10 enlarger adapter. good luck.

Re: 8X10 negative holder

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Pulvirenti View Post
    I use a fotar 8 X 10 enlarger in my dark room, It takes a glass negative carrier, consisting of a piece of jenna optical glass and anti-newton glass. I,m certain on could be constructed quite easily using two pieces of metal (alumimun) one atop the other, the bottom opening slightly larger than 8 X 10 and the top at 8 X 10 the negative is sandwiched between the two sheets of glass and nested into the cavety of the top piece of metal, if you could get a look at a fotar holder you would see how simple it would be to construct. Chas. Beseler co. also makes an 8 X 10 negative holder for their 8 X 10 enlarger adapter. good luck.
    Resurrecting this thread in hopes I can locate a glassless negative carrier which will fit my fotar 8x10 enlarger. Does anyone have an idea where I could get one or have one made? Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks. Jon

Drew Wiley

Why on earth would you want a glassless carrier? Do you like out-of-focus prints?

Durst also made a glassless tension carrier, the Tensioncarrier 205. They write ;
    The use of tensions carriers reduces the problems with dust, eliminates the problems with Newton-rings (humidity) and increases the image image resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    Resurrecting this thread in hopes I can locate a glassless negative carrier which will fit my fotar 8x10 enlarger. Does anyone have an idea where I could get one or have one made? Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks. Jon
    I use the Beseler glassless carrier for 8x10, I adapted it to fit a Grane 10x10 glass holder for my Durst.

I get even grain focus across the image with the lens wide open so I have to assume the negative is being held flat.

No dust problems and no newton rings

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    Jon, since you have the Durst CLS2000 head, you won't be able to use a glassless carrier. The second fan blowing on the negative carrier, will, of course, blow right on the negative. The negative will likely flap around quite a bit as the fan is very strong

Did your enlarger come with a negative carrier? 8x10 negative carriers can be very difficult to find. I know of at least 2 people looking for DeVere 8x10 carriers for a few years now.

If you don't have a negative carrier, I'd recommend two pieces of glass (AN on top and clear on the bottom).