Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying Linhof TK on tripod

Deardorff Sales and service

Re: Carrying Linhof TK on tripod

I carry my Deardorff 4x5 special on my tripod over my shoulder all the time. I've never hurt it yet. I've hurt several people either by stabbing them with the legs or knocking someone in the head with the camera. Held the focus for the next shot. what a camera!! Seriously I've carried my 4x5 through my V11 on my shoulder. Just be carefull. Thats all it takes.
    and a grade 8 screw!! Thanks for that post E. von hoegh
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Quote Originally Posted by J Maxwell View Post
    Thanks ALL for the great responses. I usually do as Bob S. has described, with the tripod underarm, the camera in front balanced in my right hand.
    I guess my major worry has always been the dinky 3/4" screw that holds the tripod head in place. Thinking of Murphy's law makes me dread the day when the screw snaps and the whole thing comes tumbling down.
    I normally pack everything up if I'm hiking off more then 150m, but always take the lens off. Too bad the TK isn't as compact when kept unfolded and ready for action.
    It is good to hear that no one has ever had the camera break off the tripod!
    Thanks again!
    The TK has two 3/8" tripod sockets.

Yes, sorry! Mea culpa. That's two 3/8"s.

Two 3/8 = 3/4

haha

Oh yes I also cradle the camera low and in front of me more often than tossing it over my shoulder. Makes it easier to get through brush and under branches, wires, factories and woods.

I would certainly not be fretting the strength of the screw. Branches, etc., damaging the camera, yes. Stripping the screw out of the base, maybe, but doubtful. The screw itself breaking? That's a stretch I think.

Deardorff Sales and service

The screw itself breaking? That's a stretch I think.

NOT AT ALL. If you use a Davis and Sanford tripod they used a Brass tripod screw with a locking nut. I have broken the brass screw.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    I would certainly not be fretting the strength of the screw. Branches, etc., damaging the camera, yes. Stripping the screw out of the base, maybe, but doubtful. The screw itself breaking? That's a stretch I think.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Used to carry my 5 x 7 Linhof Kardan Bi on the Linhof head/tripod all the time. Over the shoulder, up hill, down hill, whatever, maybe up to a couple of miles. Still looks like new. Shoulder on the other hand....

Worst thing that ever happened was to bend the column lock screw a few degrees when I banged it into a rock. Still works fine.

Frankly I find it harder to carry my Mamiya RB on the tripod - I think with the prism finder and 250mm lens it weighs more than the Linhof.

8 x 10 Linhof Bi on the other hand is too much to carry more than a hundred yards or so that way.

I tore out the threaded base of my Technika 13x18 (V) this way. A machinist friend of mine with golden hands installed a new one. I could probabely safely lift a truck with it now.