Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning a trip to Great Smoky Mountains in October - Need some help

Re: Planning a trip to Great Smoky Mountains in October - Need some help

I just booked a week at the Highland Manor Inn in Townsend for the third week of October. I thank everyone for their input and please keep it coming.

I really need this.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Just to be contrary, I guess, I LOVE Gatlinburg! It is wall-to-wall, bumper-to-bumper, cheek-to-jowl TACKY! The prices are high, the food is terrible (except the breakfast biscuits and Tennessee country ham with red-eye gravy, which is a national treasure), the traffic is terrible, and the nearby scenery is absolutely GLORIOUS! (Would not want to be there more than a week at a time, though.) I LOVE it!
    You have picked the perfect time to go -- peak leaf peeking season varies from year to year from the 2nd week of October to the third week of November.
    Townsend is going to bore you to death.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Enjoy, Jim. There are alot of reasons to go to Gatlinburg. I rent a Chalet in February with friends and we have a great time. Also I work once a year in the Convention Center in Gatlinburg. I wouldn't want to pull a trailer there but people do.

It all depends on what you are after. Gatlinburg is not peace and quiet, it is people people people. Along with Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. The sidewalks are crowded with people. There is a skylift and a pseudo space needle. The lights stay on all night. There are many young people and also many partiers.

441 leading into Pigeon Forge can be bumper to bumper.
    If it were me, I would take 321 into Townsend and possibly on to Cades Cove.
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Just to be contrary, I guess, I LOVE Gatlinburg! It is wall-to-wall, bumper-to-bumper, cheek-to-jowl TACKY! The prices are high, the food is terrible (except the breakfast biscuits and Tennessee country ham with red-eye gravy, which is a national treasure), the traffic is terrible, and the nearby scenery is absolutely GLORIOUS! (Would not want to be there more than a week at a time, though.) I LOVE it!
    You have picked the perfect time to go -- peak leaf peeking season varies from year to year from the 2nd week of October to the third week of November.
    Townsend is going to bore you to death.
    Funny post, Bill. I guess sometimes tacky is a fun thing. I won't mind being in Townsend since I'll pretty much be looking for photos sunrise till sunset. After that , I'll just be too tired to do anything but eat.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Brian,

I thought I would try to catch the beginning of the color change as even with B&W as it adds tonal differences to the leaves. I'll take your word about Gatlinburg and cross it off the short list of places to stay.

Do you know if the 15-16 mile drive along the Lamar Alexander Parkway coming out of Townsend towards Hwy 71/441 in the park is as scenic as 71/441 itself with as many accessible photographic areas? If not, this may put me into Pigeon Forge and having to drive through Gatlinburg every day.

Thanks for your help.
    Hi Jim - Sorry but I don't know. It's been about ten years since I was there and I've forgotten the roads, entrance names, etc. I don't remember Pigeon Ford adding that much driving time but maybe it did and I've just forgotten. We did still have to drive through Gatlinburg but if you're a passenger you can close your eyes. And even if you're the driver it's better to drive through than stay there.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have a love-hate reaction to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg entrance-way.

Nothing like putt-putt golf courses & life-sized Dinosaurs to put me in the mood to get away for a while!

After hiking, however, I like exiting through Townsend – a better way for me to transition back into civilization, even if it means taking the long way home. (BTW, I recall a gravel road w/ nice scenery connecting Cades Cove to the Townsend area.)

Another recommendation if you have time: Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, for giant first-growth trees. Among the biggest stands in the Eastern U.S. It’s near Robbinsville, southwest of the Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Another recommendation if you have time: Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, for giant first-growth trees. Among the biggest stands in the Eastern U.S. It’s near Robbinsville, southwest of the Park.
    Thanks for the Kilmer Forest recommendation. Looks like a great add-on for the trip.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

funkadelic

Jim,
    Someone mentioned Cherokee National Forest. There's an entrance east of Cleveland, TN... an easy day trip. If you want to explore peaceful scenery, it would make a nice addition to your itinerary. Plenty of nice places to pull off the road for photos. One of my submissions for Darr's print exchange was near Ocoee. If you call ahead, Barry and Monica @ Deardorff in Cleveland are friendly and helpful. Maybe ask them about the area. Maybe some Deardorff history. See where the current ones are being made. There's a good place for sushi (Yummy's) close to them too!

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Jim,
    Someone mentioned Cherokee National Forest. There's an entrance east of Cleveland, TN... an easy day trip. If you want to explore peaceful scenery, it would make a nice addition to your itinerary. Plenty of nice places to pull off the road for photos. One of my submissions for Darr's print exchange was near Ocoee. If you call ahead, Barry and Monica @ Deardorff in Cleveland are friendly and helpful. Maybe ask them about the area. Maybe some Deardorff history. See where the current ones are being made. There's a good place for sushi (Yummy's) close to them too!
    Yeah, Mark mentioned the Cherokee, too. Thanks to both of you for that reference. I had no idea that Deardorff Co. was just around the corner. Might be a fun side trip. I can lug my 1951 V8 in and have them say hello.

Great info, thanks.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

funkadelic

I was in there a couple of days ago. If you need any accessories (knobs, screws, rivets, replacement arms, etc) they probably have them. They've been stocking up on parts for servicing all of the existing cameras that are out there, not just making a run of new ones.