Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question - Removing Lens

Stupid Question - Removing Lens

So, it is with some embarrassment that I ask this, but I'm having a lot of trouble removing my 90mm from its lens board.

I have been able to unscrew the back side of the lens, which I'd assumed would've let me be able to remove the lens, as with my others, however there's a retaining ring that I can't remove? Well in fact there are two, the inner most one unscrews, but because of the outer one, it cannot be removed.

Have photos:

I anyone could offer assistance, it would be great.

Thanks

Re: Stupid Question - Removing Lens

Is that top photo with the rear lens group removed? It looks like the elements were removed but not the barrel. It should all just unscrew. Then you'll be able to get at the retainer ring with a lens wrench.
    Is this your first time with LF lenses or have you done this before?

The rear elements are removed in the top photo, however I can't really get the barrel off? Unless it's just tightened to an incredible level? Didn't want to force it too much to check...

It is my first time trying to remove the lens or any lens in LF, I've never had the need in the past.

Can you post a picture of what you managed to remove? Is there any lettering on that rear piece? If there is some lettering, then it is most certainly a part of the rear lens group and should be unscrewed.
    Also look for any set screws or anything. If there are none then its probably just screwed on crazy tight. The previous owner might have used a strap wrench or something to tighten it.
    Can you remove the front group? That might give a clue as to how the lens is mounted. It should just screw straight off. Grab the barrel where the Rodenstock lettering is and unscrew. You should end up with the whole front group and the shutter on the lens board. Take a close look and there might be some other screw or retainer ring hiding somewhere, but I doubt it.

The lens is in shutter. A retaining ring is clearly visible in the first image. Use a spanner to unscrew it and pull the shutter with front element out of the board.

No need to remove the elements (glass only) on any lens I'm familiar with. The rear barrel (with the lens elements inside) is what must come off so you can get to the retaining ring that holds the shutter and front barrel in place. Sounds like that rear barrel has been graphically over tightened. That rear group and barrel actually bypasses the retaining ring to mount inside the rear of the shutter. It seems that that is where the over-tightening has occurred. The retaining ring serves only to engage the outer threads on the rear of the shutter assembly and hold the whole unit in place in the lens board.

Put the elements back in carefully along with their retaining ring, then visit your hardware or auto parts store for a strap wrench in a small enough diameter to fit around the rear barrel. That will give you much more torque than your hand can ever develop and it will put even pressure all around the barrel without scratching or other damage.

Grasp the lens board or even put it in a vise and then use the strap wrench to rotate the whole rear group counter clockwise. Once that is off, its quite simple to remove the actual retaining ring to dismount the shutter.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Dan,

Are you referring to the section closer to the board? It does unscrew somewhat, however because of the ring of the same size that is attached to the lens, I can't remove it?

I'll try and get more photos tomorrow.

The small ring with the notches on the back is the retainer ring. Normally you should be able to just unscrew that with a lens spanner wrench and the shutter with front group will drop out of the front of the lens board. That big rear "ring" is most probably the left overs of the rear lens group which should have been unscrewed with the glass in it. I'm interested in seeing what you have actually removed because it seems to me like you have a bunch of loose glass elements now and the retainer ring which keeps them in the rear barrel.

dmb, as sumo wrote that small ring with notches is the retaining ring. It should unscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    dmb, as sumo wrote that small ring with notches is the retaining ring. It should unscrew.
    But you must first remove the threaded adapter that goes between the rear cell and the shutter.....
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.