Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tray processing success!

Thumbs up Tray processing success!

I'm still waiting for the negative to dry but I think I might have had some success at first glance! This is the first sheet I've put through tray processing and it was quite a fun and easy experience. Less traumatic and more tranquil than the noisy, whirring beast that was my Jobo and prior to that, my Paterson Orbital. Just the slopping of chemicals sloshing about the trays.

A couple of things that might improve my process. A mechanical timer - or perhaps a couple of mechanical timers. Or just some timers without bright lights would suffice. I was reliant on my iPhone for the timer and was mostly panicking that I might have got an email and the light would shine through my jeans. But it was the only timing device I had available. I had to get the timer going, stick it in my pocket and remove the sheet from the film holder and then figure out how long that took me and add it to the end.

The temperature of the developer dropped a little before I got going so had to add a bit more time. I need to figure out better way of handling that. Perhaps I'll use a bit more soup next time - I used 500ml of 1:19 LC29.

But other than that, the negative looks clean, development in the light of the bathroom looks nice and even and there's no scratches!

Pretty chuffed overall! I'll have to try two sheets at a time next go.

Re: Tray processing success!

Good on you, looking forward to seeing the scan, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    Good on you, looking forward to seeing the scan, maybe.
    Ok, spoke a bit too soon. I just put some scratches on it. Must learn to leave alone.

Landscape Addict

Good effort mate... I pulled my first transparencies from my processor last week and was blown away.. Doing it in trays in the dark must be a whole different experience...

Congrats on doing things the old fashioned way.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Ok, spoke a bit too soon. I just put some scratches on it. Must learn to leave alone.
    Wait until you get up to doing 4-6 sheets at a time, then you can scratch 4-6 sheets.

Just kidding, sort of. I hated tray processing - scratches, standing over trays in the dark inhaling chemical fumes, and the real fun came when you processed different sheets for different times in the same run and had to keep track of the order of the sheets in the stack as you shuffled the stack. I realize some people do it and like it and what works for you, to each his own, personal preference, etc. etc. But my advice that you didn't ask for is to get some BTZS tubes or make your own - no whirring of machinery, no scratches, easy to do different times in the same run, everything done in room light, minimal chemicals (e.g. 1 ounce of D76 1-1 per sheet), little space taken up, etc. etc.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ok, here's a (very) rough scan.

It's not as bad as it looks. Honest. Actually the scanner has much more dust on it than the negative. I'm going to pick up a can of air and give my scanner a good clean. Also, noticed the sheet was bowed in the middle, hence the out of focus section in the middle. The first scan came out much better but my trial of VueScan ran out so it's covered in VueScan watermarks. I have a BetterScanning.com film holder on its way so should start getting cleaner and flatter scans. I've re-washed the sheet and it's drying as we speak. Will have another go tomorrow!

Welcome to the club! I used to be afraid of tray development and to avoid it at all costs, until I finally realized how easy it actually was.
    Now, your next step could be to get a green light and develop by inspection.

Chemical odor - I though walking around smelling like fixer was the only way people would know you were a photographer.

Really? I thought that one's black, amidol-stained fingernails were the giveaway.

Personally its my method of prefrence, although startig up i didnt have a timer, was afraid i may burn the neg with my iPhone. So i had to count dvery second individually.. Was not fu at all!