Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underexposed 4x5 slides

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Peter... when you say you load the film with the notch in the top right corner do you have the film holder's open flap at the top, or do you have the open flap at your right-hand side? IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

As Steve pointed out, having the film in emulsion down is consistent with your results.

Underexposed 4x5 slides

There's a good description of loading film into darkslides here

Underexposed 4x5 slides

you've loaded the film backwards.

you're description is absolutely dead on for what film shot through the base looks like.

let us all know....

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Dave said: "...do you have the film holder's open flap at the top, or do you have the open flap at your right-hand side? IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!"

Wait a minute. Now THAT doesn't make sense. Just look at the site Tom added. Clearly, that holder is being loaded with the holder flap at the top. If you hold the film with your finger on the notches, then turn everything "horizontal", rather than "vertical" as in the illustration, the film will still be loaded correctly. You could not load the film held in a vertical position into a holder which is horizontal.

I'd like to hear more of your theory, Dave.
    Alec

Underexposed 4x5 slides

OK guys I think the problem is solved, looking at Tom's photos I was loading the film incorrectly. For some reason I was placing/holding the film holder horizontally instead of vertically, Dave is right it does make a difference. As soon as I post this message I will load two more films this time correctly I hope and have them processed tomorrow......will let you all know what develops.

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Peter, please don't feel bad about making an honest mistake. I'm sure everyone here has a "few" stories about doing something which didn't exactly work out well. Welcome to the club! tim

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Hello everyone just got back from the photo lab with my 4x5 transparencies, and they look Fabulous!!! perfectly exposed films. (naturally when you load them correctly) I have never seen such richness of color and detail! This format will be a great aid to do some terrific paintings. What a great forum to get some help, thank you All for your help and responses. Tim I don't feel bad about my mistakes anymore....on the contrary I feel like I made a bunch of friends who are eager to help me out whenever I get myself into a jam....which probably won't be the last time. Thanks folks.

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Hi Alec... I just want to answer your question, you may have to actually try it yourself for it to make sense

If you load the film holder with the flap opening away from you and the notches in the top right corner the film will be loaded correctly

If you load the film holder with the flap open on your right hand side and load the film with the notch in the top right corner the film is loaded incorrectly.

How do it know ???