Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underexposed 4x5 slides

Underexposed 4x5 slides

As a beginner in 4x5 photography I'm getting very frustrated in consistently getting Underexposed 4x5 color slides from professional lab. The slides look like they are consistently 2 f stops or more underexposed!!! This despite experimenting with different exposure settings and two film type, Fujichrome Astia 100F and Fujichrome Provia 100F , and taking color Polaroid's, which come out good and accurate. I also tried two different cameras with different lenses, but the results is always the same dark underexposed film! I will next try a different processing lab, but would appreciate any help and suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong. PS I had no such problems with 21/4 format. Thanks in advance.

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Sometimes, when this happens, you might have forgotten to change the ISO on the meter, forgotten to adjust for a filter or for the bellows, forgotten to adjust for film reciproticy, or you have a mechanical problem with the shutter or light meter.

However, all of those "normal" problems don't seem to have occurred -- it seems odd that the Polaroids would be exposed correctly but the slides would not, provided the same exposure is being used for both.

Since those Fuji films fare much better than Polaroid film for long exposures, it can't be reciprocity. Since the Polaroids are okay, it can't be a shutter or light meter mechanical problem.

Does your Polaroid film have a different ISO and you forgot to change your exposure for the chromes? Is there a problem with your standard film backs versus your Polaroid back (though underexposure wouldn't normally result from such a problem... just brainstorming)? Is there a problem on the processing end? Did you add a filter in between taking the Polaroid shot and taking the Fujichrome shot?

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Peter, Try this. Use asa 100 on your meter. Meter from a gray card with the sun at your back. Focus on a scene at infinity with the sun at your back and take the picture. If this doesn't work, you have a bad meter. You should be somewhere around f11 at 1/125.

Underexposed 4x5 slides

FWIW try taking a Nikon 35 along and exposing your 4X5 film exactly the same as what the Nikon averages. Also "listen" to the Nikon at 1/4 second several times and then your lf lens at 1/4 second to see if the time lapse is identical to your ear. You could have shutter problems. Your ear can tell you a lot at 1/4 and 1/2 second. Trust it.

Underexposed 4x5 slides

One additional thought Peter,

If you are using a good quality commercial professional lab then they are likely to be interested in helping solve the problem too. If you have not done so, take your chromes and polaroids into the lab and explain the problem. See what they can contribute.

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Brian I did not use any filters at all ......Tim I shot at the exposure that you suggested and at f8 and f5.6 if anything I should have gotten overexposed film not underexposed. Another thing that's peculiar about these results is that chromes have a kind of reddish monochrome look to them?!

Underexposed 4x5 slides

Brian I did not use any filters at all ......Tim I shot at the exposure that you suggested and at f8 and f5.6 if anything I should have gotten overexposed film not underexposed. Another thing that's peculiar about these results is that chromes have a kind of reddish monochrome look to them?!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am willing to bet you have the film loaded backwards and the light sensitive material is being exposed through the back of the film. That would account for the reddish cast and the constant underexposure.

steve simmons view camera magazine www.viewcamera.com

Underexposed 4x5 slides

I think Steves got the right idea. He is a genius.

My suggestion was to double-check that your polaroids were the same ISO as the slide film. Another possibility is that the film tself had degraded in some way, either with time or heat.

Underexposed 4x5 slides

I load the film with the notches held at the top right hand corner, inserting the smooth opposite end first. The expiration date on the film box is 2004-9. I will try a different processing lab.....and maybe a new film. Thanks everyone

Underexposed 4x5 slides

When you figure out what the problem is, let us know so others can quickly find answers.

Thanks