Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Mac versus PC

Re: Mac versus PC

Frank -

"Same for the OS, on the Mac they've tested and considered it far deeper than Windows, and if you watch an experienced Mac user with a reasonable system, they can fly through stuff at least as fast or better than a similarly experienced PC user with a system of the same value."

My experience has been the exact opposite. I often have said anything you can do on a Mac, you can do faster and cheaper on a PC. That's coming from a Mac/PC household of over 17 years. I have been in the trenches with both systems, literally fixing and repairing many hardware and software issues from both. Despite the hype that it is *easier* to use a Mac, I have found neither OS is immune to stupidity and or planned obsolescence by design. The examples are too many to get into here.

After using the very first Mac in 1984 and several Mac systems since then up to System 9, I have found nothing spectacular about Mac OS 10. I think your statement is relative to the ability of the individual user and their level of experience with the given OS. I know many a photographer who use PC's for extensive and heavy post process work load in both Lightroom 3/4 as well as CS5 PS with a PC. I doubt there are any here that could work any faster or "easier" just because they are on Mac OSX. It used to be, pre-Windows XP Pro SP3, that there were many advantages using a Mac both from a system perspective and of the specific ports of Photoshop, Illustrator and other image editing/creating programs. But times have changed, lines have blurred and the operational advantages Apple once could claim simple do not exist anymore, other than the particular bias and sense of familiarity the end user has with their Mac.

But at the end of the day, like your camera/lens/medium, use what makes you happy.
    Portraits, Weddings, Landscapes
    http://roboresteen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I love my Apple - stock. I love my PC - computer (but I'm sure I'd love an Apple computer just as well, nix nox as far as I'm concerned). .
    I am the same as you brian , But just quietly i have a very real love hate relationship with technology. Oh btw i use mac but i wont fight to death over it . Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Please someone give me a Macbook Pro so I can experience some Apple bliss! Really, I'm not joking. I can't afford to buy one but I'm sure some one on this board has a few extra bucks giggling around in their pockets that could be put to good use.
    if you listen to AC /DC in the darkroom you are on a Highway to hell
    Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by roresteen View Post
    After using the very first Mac in 1984 and several Mac systems since then up to System 9, I have found nothing spectacular about Mac OS 10. snip... But times have changed, lines have blurred and the operational advantages Apple once could claim simple do not exist anymore, other than the particular bias and sense of familiarity the end user has with their Mac.
    rersteen,

What you are saying is blatantly incorrect. I have "early adopter's disease" and put up a server farm in 2002 with OS 10.1. It was hard to use, you had to do a lot of things in the Unix terminal app. In OS 9 we had to restart the servers once a month as they would fill up their buffers and crash. (Kinda like NT.) The OS X servers have been going for 10 years straight, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. It is true that new machines have been added and we have upgraded to the new OS'es as they were made available. But I have had a 10-year period with no need to ever restart one of my servers. They have never crashed!

OS X is so much more stable its ridiculous. I am currently running, in addition to the very buggy PhotoShop CS6, 15 other programs. This is not an approximation, I just counted. The Mac switches easily between them whenever I need to. My Mac doesn't go down. I leave it on all the time. You simply couldn't do this with OS 9.

Nothing is perfect. I can complain about one or another issues with the interface. However, basing the OS on UNIX was the best thing that Jobs ever did.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Dakota,
    If you have 3 computers die in a month - of any sort, then its statistically likely that it isn't the computers. It is likely some electrical lines with a lot of variance. A voltage regulator would solve this problem. I have not had a Mac computer die on me in 27 years. I know that people do have issues, but I haven't had one. If you had 3 in a row, and an issue with an HP as well, I'd suspect the electricity....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Dakota...

I agree with Lenny. You have a power line problem.

Some years ago I did a consulting job for IBM (their big stuff, not PCs), and was amazed to find that almost half of the volume
    of their computer products was occupied by the power supply. No wonder those things never failed.

Unfortunately modern consumer computers (of any brand) use cheap dinky power supplies that have no resistance to
    power line surges, and those supposed "surge protector strips" aren't worth the cardboard they're packaged in.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Man that was fun...... in a root canal kind of way...

Personally, I think 8x10 user is actually Frank Petronio kicking shit behind his dual screen mini and "Teethnasher" Leigh is a very bored Nun.

Nahh, that's not it, 8x10 user and Leigh are (is?) THE SAME PERSON. SysOp can you check their Ips?

It's possible, one summer in college I had a room mate that was at least two people.... when he left early I could hear two people talking walking by my window...

Oh, well, it's HOT!