Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best book on collodion?

Beginner

Best book on collodion?

I want to learn more about the aspects of collodion photography and probably later use it as a guide to getting started.

What would be the best book on this subject (It'd need to be available on Amazon)?

Thanks!
    Rød grød med fløde.

Re: Best book on collodion?

The best information is the Manual from John Coffer, if I remember correctly, its about $70, but may cost a bit more for you with shipping. Check his website at http://johncoffer.com/.

He only communicates by post office mail, no internet.

I have several books, and viewed a lot of online references, but this is all inclusive. My copy is his handwritten book, but he now has a typed manual available. They also included some dvds with john showing the process. I even have a cherished copy of "The Silver Sunbeam" from 1864 (but only the second printing), and unless you are familiar with the two different drachms measurements, it can be a bit misleading.

Don't bother with any of the other books and pamphlets, John's information is the one that is most complete, and he's perfected the technique. Other people use different formulas and techiques, which they have developed through practice, but I don't have time for that, and just stick to John's recommendations.

Unfortunately, this isn't available on Amazon, and John isn't making a fortune on it, so buy it directly from him.

Wayne

Beginner

Sounds great, but he doesn't accept PayPal :-(
    Rød grød med fløde.

Send him an international money order for $110, most anything else you buy will be a waste of money. Your basic chemicals are going to cost about $200 just to get started with 4x5 plates.

Hello,

I can recommend Quinn Jacobson's Book "Chemical Pictures".

It's about 90$, payable via PayPal, plus you get access to a lot of online videos. I ordered mine last week, just got it today in the mail and already read over the half of it

It was printed somewhere in Europe (sorry, threw the packaging away before reading this thread) so it's getting shipped pretty fast.

+1 on Quinn Jacobson's book Chemical Pictures. Great book, easy to read, and he also offers secondary online videos that show you exactly what each step is and how to do it. Definitely worth checking out!

Beginner

The Jacobsen sounds like the better solution, as this money order thing is totally unknown to me (plus he ships from Europe).

Did you feel the book had everything you needed to know in order to understand and start making plates?
    Rød grød med fløde.

Hello pbryld,

as I already took a wet plate workshop and shoot large format stuff for years, I can't really say from the point of an absolute beginner.

But the book is very detailled, especially on mixing the chemicals, explaning security issues (which is a MUST if you work with ether, KCN and Cadmium, IMHO), differences of historic lenses and the best workflow. So far, I'm really pleased with the book.

I think it's a great starting point if you want to know about collodion receipes, handling, coating, developing, fixing, handling the chemicals, troubleshooting and stuff. All you want to know about making collodion wet plate positives like ambrotypes, ferrotypes et al.

It does NOT cover the general basics of large format photography, the negative process or any historic paper printing processes.

Just in case you aren't already a member, there is also a very good forum for collodion wet plate photography run by Quinn Jacobson. You might find all the information from the book also in the forums, but of course it's a big hassle to search everything by yourself.

So, short: Yes, I think the book does cover (almost) everything you need to know to start. And if it doesn't you can still ask your questions in the forums for free.

Beginner

I guess I'll have to buy it then. :-)

Thanks for your help.
    Rød grød med fløde.

Mark Osterman's rewrite of his working guide should be available http://www.collodion.org/pubs.html
    I'm awaiting my copy so can't review.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith