Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I take the wallet out for a 8x10 Burke and James field camera ?

Re: Should I take the wallet out for a 8x10 Burke and James field camera ?

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    My gosh, I see old cameras in this price range all the time. You guys are acting like it's something rare, or somehow a great, quality camera. It's neither. It's an old, dusty piece of wood to 99.8% of the world. About as useful as a 1950s typewriter. It's all the heavy breathing talk that makes the next widow think their ratty 5x7 is worth $800. I found a Deardorff this weekend that I passed on because the owner hunted around on the net for a while and decided it was worth the super-high buy it now prices he saw.
    I'll have you know that I use, for any and all typed correspondence, a late 30s Royal. It has beveled glass windows on the sides and back of the frame.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Not to sound lie a boy band...

But you should seriously...

Buy! Buy! Buy!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Well I did pick it up....

The bads ....

After doing the flashlight test for pinholes. I counted 8 pinholes mostly to the front of the bellows... There might be some more,,,,but there are pinholes on the bellows,,,

The Good....

The camera comes complete....from front to back...

1. Lensboard including a Graphex Optar 135mm 4.7 lens...

2. 12 inch Ektar lens

3. 6 8x10 Kodak Film holders

4. Case for the whole set

So now I have to research what is the best option to either repair the bellows or buy a new one...the auction place has one for $185...with free shipping....

Far from being an expert, (for instance I do not know if that Optar covers 8*10..I guess not) but to me it sound like a hack of a deal, you've a complete kit to start shooting ! Only a tripod (and a darkcloth, can be a black T-shirt) is missing from the equation !

My advice would be to use some tape to (temporarily) fix the pin holes (search the forum for many other tips) thrown over a darkcloth or something and start shooting!

See if you like it, and that invest on better bellows..beware though it can be highly addictive, soon you'll start gathering lenses, tripod, lghtmeters, perhaps upgrading teh complete camera..;-)....enjoy!

best,

Cor

Having pinholes is not a sign of mistreatment as much as age.... As long as they are just small pinholes, the dark cloth thrown over the camera works really well 99% of the time. Test the various "patch" methods, some will be too sticky and more trouble than they are worth. Don't just buy any old bellows off eBay, you need to know how it attaches and what the dimensions are. Most people opt to have a custom one made but I would wait until you are sure you like shooting 8x10 before making the investment.

You're going to want a heavy-duty tripod. The 135 most certainly will not cover 8x10 but perhaps you could trade it for supplies on this forum?

The 12" Ektar is probably worth more than what you paid. Is the shutter working OK? Check that the holders aren't warped, clean and tape hinge/light trap is OK.

If the only problems with the bellows are pinholes, fix them. It's easier and much cheaper than replacing a bellows. See post 11 in this thread or search for the topic on this site. You shouldn't use anything that builds up appreciatable thickness.

If the only problems are pinholes in the bellows, see post 11 in this thread. Search this site for other options. It's quicker, easier, and much cheaper than replacing the bellows. Draping the darkcloth over the bellows also can cover the film holder and camera back, other sources of leaks.

I had a 5x7 B&J many years ago that i wish I'd never sold off. It had been disassembled and refinished in its natural wood (Beach I think). It looked pretty good that way.

Enjoy your camera and show us a few images later.

Cheers,
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by chopsteeks View Post
    Well I did pick it up....

The bads ....

After doing the flashlight test for pinholes. I counted 8 pinholes mostly to the front of the bellows... There might be some more,,,,but there are pinholes on the bellows,,,

The Good....

The camera comes complete....from front to back...

1. Lensboard including a Graphex Optar 135mm 4.7 lens...

2. 12 inch Ektar lens

3. 6 8x10 Kodak Film holders

4. Case for the whole set

So now I have to research what is the best option to either repair the bellows or buy a new one...the auction place has one for $185...with free shipping....
    Only 8 pinholes? Wrap the dark cloth around the bellows and forget about pinholes. Those filmholders, if at all clean, are worth more than you paid. Enjoy it!
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Got into this thread late. sometimes pinholes can be an easy fix. Get a small tube of high quality gasket seal in black from a local automotive supplier. It is usually silicon based and once it dries it stays flexible. A tube is under $10 last time I checked and will last you many bellows.

don't go crazy though, try ONE SMALL drop only on one pinhole only, let dry overnight, and make sure it stays on your bellows. Flex it a bit back and forth, and only then i fit works, do the rest of the pinholes. If the hole is too big for that stuff to work, you are best looking on teh net for some cloth based bookbinders tape - if it can still be found

good luck

joe

PS - B&J cameras - used to have the 4x5. Built like tanks. Weigh as much as a tank too, but where else do you get into 8x10 at this price?
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?