Thread: 4x5 field camera on pack frame

4x5 field camera on pack frame

I'm looking for a hard case for my 4x5, big enough to hold the camera without removing the lens and folding it up, strong enough to stand on, able to be attached to a backpack frame, waterproof, and as lightweight as possible, all for as little money as possible.

Minimum inside dimensions are 13x13x13. I've looked at the Pelican cases but they're too shallow.

For many years I've operated with a Zone VI shoulder bag, which generally holds everything I need, except the camera. Most of the time, the camera travels in the back seat of the car, unfolded with lens on, ready to go. To carry the camera I generally put it on the tripod and sling it over my shoulder.

I'm finding however the desire to travel farther from the road, and carrying the camera on the tripod over my shoulder is a pain in the neck, along with being pretty unstable on tough terrain.

I've looked long and hard at several backpacks, especially the f64. These look great except for two things. First, the 4x5 has to be folded up to go in, or more importantly, unfolded to set up. Dust can get in and the light can be gone quickly. I want to carry it unfolded and ready to go. Secondly, I like the Zone VI bag and don't want to be transferring gear between bags.

I've found a pack frame with a good harness from Cabela. My Zone VI bag will strap to it. Now all I need is a case for the camera which I can also strap to the frame.

Any ideas, or am I asking too much?

There are a variety of Pelican-style case sizes, Ed - some big enough to hold an 8x10. Of course, once they get that big, they're damned heavy, too. ;-) You might find what you need by looking at general-purpose cases, such as those used to ship large computer and electronics equipment, rather than looking at those marketed to the photo community. Military surplus is also an option.

You might check around the various ice chests sold. May just find one the right size. Light, strong and cheap. But I can't imagine carrying both the Zone VI case and the additional case on the pack frame. I do the Zone VI with camera folded inside. The case is strapped on a pack frame. But your way does have some advantages in setup speed if the additional weight and bulk is no problem.