Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cheap, light tripod leg set for 8x10?

A cheap, light tripod leg set for 8x10?

Hi.

I'm new to 8x10, as I've just picked up a B&J 8x10 from ebay as an upgrade from 4x5.

Now, of course, the EXPENSE of this all is setting in as I'm taking stock of what I own and just how useless it all is.

Chief on the list of "unexpected expenses" are tripod legs. I'm currently using a Bogen 3055S ballhead, that's their "heavy duty, single action" unit.

This guy is ratecd to 15.5lb, and has done me quite well ontop of an old set of "Canon professional tripod" legs. I've been unable to locate any information about these legs specifically, though. Black, aluminum tube construction, geared center column, not real high but with the brace to the legs its held its own under a Graflex Pacemaker and Pentax 645 (including with the column fully extended and lenses reversed onto each other).

Now, I haven't gotten my B&J, yet, but I'm going ot make the assumption that these legs were never built to carry something like that. I assume the 3055S will still be acceptable, but that I'm going to need to invest in new legs? How much do people here value the listed weight capacity of tripod literature? If I'm to believe what they say, I'm going to end up lugging around a $300, 20lb leg set but it seems like lots of people don't sweat that side and just use what they want. Scanning through B&H I saw a Davis and Sandford leg set for only $100 that professed to carry 15lb and at a very reasonable weight, as well.

So, what's popular consenus around here?

My biggest fear is having the whole thing crumple apart under the weight of this thing.

How about a sturdy surveyor's tripod? Other alternatives would be the BIG Davis and Sanborn or Berlebach, which might be available used. Most of the other inexpensive used heavy duty tripods I've come across are too heavy for field use, but they'd be fine if you never left the studio. IMHO, If you can find an old Ries for $300 though, jump on it!

-----------Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Scroll down to the thread:

VERY Heavy-Duty Tripod

I'm considering the Giottos tripod. It's heavier then I'd like but seems like I can avoid using a head so the total weight will be reasonable.

My two cents, it depends on how light and how cheap. Also, you want (sufficiently) strong - "My biggest fear is having the whole thing crumple apart under the weight of this thing."

Now we're looking at light, cheap, and strong enough to support a relatively heavy 8x10 securely enough not only to prevent collapse but to take reasonably sharp photos. I went through the same process and concluded I couldn't have all 3 - light, cheap, and strong. But I could have any two! Here's how my research stacked up:

Majestic (and surveyor's) - cheap and strong; Gitzo 1500 series - light and strong; Ries - strong; Tripods intended for smaller cameras - cheap(er) and light

Thanks!

Steve

Octogenarian

Take a look at the Bogen/Manfrotto 475 leg set. It will match up with your Bogen 3055s ballhead and will easily support the weight of a B&J 8X10. This particular model is a relatively new design with some outstanding features. It has a good balance of weight, size, and strength. It is available in silver or black finish. The optional shoulder carrying strap is a wise idea, if you plan on carrying it for long distances. I got mine from Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) for under $200.

Sorry to be a spoil sport, but I think ball heads are a tremendous drag for LF, especially for 8x10. Many will disagree with me for 4x5, but few for 8x10. Something like the Bogen 3047 pan and tilt head is about the cheapest head that I would consider adequate for 8x10. Oh, and I tried going headless, and found that to restrictive.

It is painfully true that a good tripod+head is a major expense. I personally maximized the expense by first buying a mediocre tripod and then a fairly good tripod and then an excellent tripod. My advice is to skip the first two steps, sell your car, and go directly to Gitzo.

"Sorry to be a spoil sport, but I think ball heads are a tremendous drag for LF, especially for 8x10. Many will disagree with me for 4x5, but few for 8x10. Something like the Bogen 3047 pan and tilt head is about the cheapest head that I would consider adequate for 8x10. Oh, and I tried going headless, and found that to restrictive."

One [and not the only one... :-) ] of the few. Of course it depends on the weight of the camera, but for field work with an 8x10 I can't abide by pan and tilt heads - too many darn knobs tucked under the camera where you can't see which is which when you need em, then it will never quite tilt the way I want it - among other things.

I much prefer a strong ball head - either Arca Swiss B1 (or bigger.. which I don't have or find I need) , Acratech or that big Burzynski head, which will pop right into the top cradle of certain Gitzos.

Heads aside, on this particular thread, either a nice old used set of one of the heavier Gitzo legs (I got a set off ebay that weigh about 8lbs or so - too heavy for me most of the time unless it's very windy - I normally use lighter weight CF gitzo 1325 legs - or I need the height, but they were $125 or so - but note the Gitzo naming system is rather confusing) or a set of the Baerlbach (sic) wooden ones, some like the one with the ball mounted centre column and use no tripod head apart from that.

And if you really want a pan and tilt head, one of the largest or next size down Gitzo low profile pan and tilts works just fine, and again, the previosu generation can usually be found for a decent price on ebay, with a bit of patience.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I've posted this previously, surveyors tripods have it all.....light, cheap and strong......yes you can have it all!

My cameras when set up weigh about 25 pounds and these tripods handle the weight easily. This one below I modified for a bit more height, I bought it used for $25, it now owes me about $100......damn cheap for what it does.

Eric Woodbury

I'm using a Paillard tripod that was originally for a Bolex movie camera. It is the aluminum version. I see these sometimes and they are cheap, less than $100. You'd then need a head for it. I also have a Miller tripod that is for a movie camera. Wooden version. Very strong, not too heavy. It holds 8x10 with ease if you put the right head on it.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Wow.

I am stunned by how many responses are here in one short day, its even still during business hours in the US.

With regards to ball versus PT heads, I have to agree based on my experiences with that 3055S...its an absolute pain to use. One of the things I've been meaning to replace for awhile now has been that head, but its definatly at the bottom of the list after some other things.

Anyways, thank you all for the input. I'm going to look at all suggested tripods, and no doubt there'll be more after this. I suppose there's always a chance that my current set of legs will be strong enough to hold the B&J, but even if that's the case I still want to replace it down the line with something taller (I'm 6'3, the only way my current tripod gets close to eye level is if I barely open it up and crank up that center column, heh).

-g