Thread: Renewing the velvet "bearings" in early Ross sleeve and barrel lenses

Renewing the velvet "bearings" in early Ross sleeve and barrel lenses

I have only a few of these and discovered first to-day that there are two velvet seals set into the edges of the sleeve to reduce clearance and provide a non abrasive movement. These are present in serial numbers 11445, 16819 and 17142 and probably for a wider range of serial numbers.

There is only occasionally any reason to remove the sleeve - in fact it can be quite a problem with tangential drives as the brass screws have very short threads cut the barrel.
    The basic colour of the velvet is (at least, now anyway) black. The lens I took apart had lost both the velvet seals and there was plenty of verdigris in the turned depression which needed to be cleaned out.
    I have bad experiences with modern types of velvet material as the threads tend to come loose when cut to size. I found a reel of ribbon which behaves much more politely when cut.
    Before and after photographs below.
    Purple was the only reasonable colour available!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rossseal 001.jpg   rossseal 002.jpg   rossseal 003.jpg  

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Renewing the velvet "bearings" in early Ross sleeve and barrel lenses

You always seem to have interesting challenges... and interesting solutions to share!

Purple looks good to me!

Did any other maker use this system? While it may seem like a good idea, quite a lot of metal is removed from the thin edge by the Waterhouse cut-out in the brass turning operation. I have had to solder a repair on one of mine at this exact place.
    I don't have later Ross types with sleeves so I don't know when/if they abandoned the system?

I have replaced the seals in a few 1850s or 1860s Harrison and HBH lenses which used velvet. Like yourself I ended up using velvet ribbon, although the quality of the ribbon--at least that which I could find locally--was not very high. I seem to recall replacing the seal on an 1860s Dallmeyer also.

Deardorff Sales and service

Deardorffs have velvets on the front also. To avoid the unraveling of the threads you can spray the back side with fray check. Get it at a fabric store. I restored a L.F. Deardorff Portrait lens that had the thinest velvet I ever saw. I thought it was worn out. I replaced it with modern type and the lens barrel would not fit. A real simple fix. Tape the velvet to a flat surface. On either side lay some Evergreen styrene (from a hobby shop) of the correct thickness and go over it with an electric razor. Not a floating 3 head type. It works great.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Thumbs up Re: Renewing the velvet "bearings" in early Ross sleeve and barrel lenses

Good advice!

This system must be quite common - removing the sleeve just hasn't been necessary for me until now.
    A recently acquired large Darlot/Jamin was also missing the both seals. This is a more substantial sleeve than the Ross and the velvet seal continues across the Waterhouse cut out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jamindarlotseal.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Did any other maker use this system? While it may seem like a good idea, quite a lot of metal is removed from the thin edge by the Waterhouse cut-out in the brass turning operation. I have had to solder a repair on one of mine at this exact place.
    I don't have later Ross types with sleeves so I don't know when/if they abandoned the system?
    Most if not all makers of multi-draw spyglasses used it, it was used in some opera glasses as well.

I frigged around for hours, gluing the edges of cut velvet to redo a 4-draw S. Bardou spyglass; ribbon never occurred to me..... would have been a 100~ mile round trip to get some, anyway.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Ask your female contacts about velvet ribbon - they probably know how to order on the net! Whilst we are using our time here, they are looking at quite different sites! A google search with velvet ribbon 1/4" gives quite a few netshop sources. Prices are around 6usd for a lifetime's supply - many colours available including black. Ribbon velvet is much thinner than meter material = more suitable!

Beg to differ about felt/velvet bearings. I have taken apart about 10 spyglasses from the UK and Germany (1780 - 1850) and not one of them had anything except the internal split "sprung" brass short brass tube to take up the "wobble". The presence of velvet may be a sign of "unauthorised" - but probably practical - repair.

Just done a new velvet bearing.
    This is a small CdV/1/4 plate Perken,Son & Rayment Petzval.
    This one had just a single seal cut out (nearest the flange) and it looks like the maker never bothered to install the velvet!
    A sign that the lens was made by someone else for sale by Perken?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails perkensr.jpg  

I have an early Voigtlander that appears to have dark green velvet for the seal/bearing. I bet they all used something to avoid scratching the brass.