Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6x12 Backs - Horseman or Sinar Zoom or ?

Drew Wiley

Re: 6x12 Backs - Horseman or Sinar Zoom or ?

Sheer weight is sometimes an issue. Not all camera backs will accommodate something like
    the Sinar or Linhof without something flexing, if it fits at all. The Horseman is agreeable light, and I've seen clean ones for sale quite reasonably if one is patient. Just make certain you film plane on the camera itself is accurate (not always the case with wooden
    field cameras). The Horseman weighs a pound even. But with most cameras you have to
    remove the back to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Sheer weight is sometimes an issue. Not all camera backs will accommodate something like
    the Sinar or Linhof without something flexing, if it fits at all. The Horseman is agreeable light, and I've seen clean ones for sale quite reasonably if one is patient. Just make certain you film plane on the camera itself is accurate (not always the case with wooden
    field cameras)
    . The Horseman weighs a pound even. But with most cameras you have to
    remove the back to use it.
    I agree but that's true with DDS too. If you get good results with DDS then you'll be fine with a 120 RFH.

Saratoga, CA

I just weighed my Horseman 6x12 and it weighs 1lb5oz. Frank, I'll sell you mine if you are interested, I bought it new and I've only used couple of times. Comes with box, instructions and a padded bag. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you some photos.

Mr.Gale

I have the Zoom (I), and I've handled a friend's Horseman 6x12, and the Horseman seems simpler to operate and load, and there seems less that could go wrong, more like a Linhof 6x7 or 6x9 rollfilm back. The Zoom I and II backs give you the option of other formats, which is not such a bad thing, and 220, if you happen to have a stash of it or shoot one of the few films still available in that format. Say you're shooting B&W 4x5" and you want to shoot 6x7 color (as opposed to 4x5") with the same model to keep costs reasonable--the multi-format back comes in handy.

Horseman backs are pretty fool-proof.
    I've had several and never any problems.

I have the Sinar Zoom 2 and Panorama. I haven't had problems with either, but I haven't used any other backs of that format to compare. It is possible to add Graflok grooves to the Zoom 2.

Best,
    Helen

I mostly use a Sinar anyway, thanks

Another vote for the Horseman 6x12 back.
    I bought one "like-new-in-box" from a gentleman on this forum and I have been more than satisfied since. Hence I can also speak in praise of the transcations on the "used : for sale" section.

The question of taking the GG off is not a real issue to me, I use an Arca Swiss "field" 4x5" camera and have acquired an additional Arca Swiss 141-to-4x5-graflok plate.
    Hence I juste have to swap the GG plate with the Arcaswiss-ified Horseman+plate combo, a one-hand operation with the famous self-locking latches, exactly like on the Arca Swiss 6x9 camera, this is quicker and easier than inserting any film holder under a spring back.

Image size! The Linhof 612 size is 56 x120mm. All the others are smaller. Some as small as 56 x 111mm or so.

The extra 8mm (.315 inch) is nice but I wouldn't make that the deciding factor. I suppose if I routinely cropped to 2:5 or 1:3 ratio then it would be important but since I'd rather shoot two images via shift-n-stitch that extra width won't help me.