Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather lens cap in progress

Re: Leather lens cap in progress

Quote Originally Posted by alex from holland View Post
    This is the same method used in Tomosoy's "Repairing Classic Cameras" and it works very well. Use plastic wrap over the lens first to protect it from moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    This is the same method used in Tomosoy's "Repairing Classic Cameras" and it works very well. Use plastic wrap over the lens first to protect it from moisture.
    That looks a lot easier than fabricating a wooden puck to work from! The hardest part I had was finding thin enough leather---the thinnest I could find (for upholstery)was still a bit too thick but it worked anyway
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Jim and Randy,

Where do you get your leather? I have a lens with 95mm front rim and I have a plastic container cap slightly larger than that and I think if I wrap a piece of leather over it that should fit.

Thanks.

Hugo,

I get them from Fashion Leather in San Diego. Their website is http://fashionleather.com/flimerchandise/flimerchandise.html

Let me know if you need help.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Jim and Randy,

Where do you get your leather? I have a lens with 95mm front rim and I have a plastic container cap slightly larger than that and I think if I wrap a piece of leather over it that should fit.

Thanks.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Randy,

Thanks for the link. I only need a small piece for one lens cap. Maybe I will find something on ebay. BTW, your caps are beautifully made.

Hugo

Thanks Hugo - it's all because of Alex's fine article.

PM sent.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Source leather from thrift stores. A smooth leather purse or skirt/jacket will last for several lens caps.

...or old leather belts.

If you're on collodion.com check "frederickavery"'s post.

Years ago I bought a bag of garment leather offcuts from a leather merchant to replace worn/missing trim pieces on a Technika. I ended up re-doing the whole camera. Later I found out you can buy the pre-cut patches . The bag cost me $5 and I've dipped into from time to time for various projects. I still have some left and plan to use it for a few lenscaps using the method described here. I think the important thing to keep in mind for most photographic purposes is to use garment leather, as other grades would certainly be too thick. In a bag of offcuts, you get a mixture of colours and textures, but usually enough of each for what you need. (For those near Melbourne, I got mine from Lefler.)

Barry.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Hugo, I got my thin leather from Tandy leather in Oxnard. Got the pieces out of their scrap pile.