Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many holders and film do you bring when shooting away from home ?

Re: How many holders and film do you bring when shooting away from home ?

Usually 6 5x7 holders are enough for me, and since I have only 2 11x14 holders thats all I take, but dont feel the need for more. I never mix formats, its one or the other.

These comments may not be generally relevant because:
    1) I never load/unload in the field, only in the darkroom.
    2) Due to mobility issues I'm never far from the van when shooting, usually less than 50 yards/meters, so no back-packing.
    3) I experiment a lot, frequently with filters, and often make extra exposures to compare different developers or as safeties.
    4) For me, "away from home" means driving a few hours max and returning the same day. I don't do multi-day excursions.

So anyhow for 4x5, I have 18 locking Riteways always loaded with Acros, plus 18 Toyos always loaded with Velvia.

Another group of 18 locking Riteways are loaded with "specials", like infra-red or other films I'm playing with, or FP4+.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I make one long trip a year that entails flying there, and then driving back. I order film and have it shipped there and this year I'll take 10 of the 23 4x5 holders I have. I load and reload with a bag I keep with the camera. The camera gets carried on with me in a backpack and wrapped in two HUGE lens wraps for padding. I shipped the tripods last year, but I'll probably check it this year.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

I carry a full arsenal with me at all times, 4x5 up to 11x14. I always have around 80 4x5 holders, 20 5x7 holders, 10 8x10 holders and all my 11x14 holders..

I own about 30 or so 4x5 holders. For an extended trip I will load them all, usually 5 with Portra 160 and the rest with black-and-white. If in doubt, pack along a good changing tent.

Peter Gomena

My first long shooting trip after moving up to large format I took all 20 holders that I owned at the time, loaded with the same film. I always shoot both sides of a holder on a subject that interests me enough to set up the camera and compose a shot, so after several days I needed to reload holders in the field (a campground in that case.) I found reloading holders to be a nuisance, and keeping track of what exposures were what for developing when I got home to be a major pain. So now whenever I get a chance I pick up more holders. Where holders are concerned my motto is "too much is never enough."

Conversely, if I want to shoot a subject close to home and I have at least 2 holders loaded up, no problem. One holder to make the exposure, one for backup in case I really mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    FWIW I finally tried some of the Toyo film holders after 29 years of using everything else. If you can find and afford them, they are the best.
    Frank,

I am curious what makes them better than other film holders? I've seen others make similar comments about the Toyos, but have never seen one myself.

Bob

Road trip, I carry all of my holders, loaded. Day excursion from home, I carry as many as I think I might need, maybe 6 holders plus Polaroid back.

Loading up my new-to-me Grafmatic with E100SW for my next trip. Been keeping that 50 sheet box of film in my freezer, might as well use it.

Interesting thread. I have about thirty holders, but seldom take more than six, unless I am going somewhere special. Instead, I take a dark bag and a box of film. I seldom shoot more than twelve sheets a day, and normally reload in the evening. On holidays, sometimes I'll shoot more, and either take twelve holders, or carry the bag and load on the fly.

Twenty, forty, EIGHTY holders? Man, you guys have some serious arsenals indeed! Fully loaded for me is eight holders and if I shot that in a day, I'd be very happy. If I'm traveling I bring my extra film and a box for exposed sheets, along with a changing bag, and reload when I get back to the hotel, or tent if that's the case.