Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Portrait Lens 305mm (12in.) f/4.8, questions

Kodak Portrait Lens 305mm (12in.) f/4.8, questions

Questions:
    - Did Kodak actually manufacture their own glass?
    - How do you know that the glass you have is correct?

On the front of mine is a "small wall clock" sized shutter.
    Showing:
    NO. 5 UNIVERSAL SYNCHRO SHUTTER
    MADE IN U.SA. BY ILEX OPTICAL CO. FOR
    EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, ROCHESTER, N.Y.

There a "ring/hood" attached to the front of the shutter, showing:
    Kodak Portrait Lens 305mm (12in.) f/4.8 R0171, then an encircled capital L
    This "ring/hood" is easily unscrewed.
    On top of the "ring/hood" is a plain, polished? aluminum? cap that fits with a felt liner.
    - The R0171 is the serial number ?
    - If so, is there a document that would tell me the date?

On the rear is the lens, there are no ID marks found on mine.
    The entire lens screws off the shutter.
    However, the individual lens/group, does not seem to be able to be removed.
    I see nothing along the edges of the lens for ID, etc.
    - How do I really know this the correct glass ?

Re: Kodak Portrait Lens 305mm (12in.) f/4.8, questions

1.You should be hugely reassured that it actully does screw into the shutter.
    2. Take a picture; that should be reassuring.

Your lens was made in 1956. The secret Kodak date code word is "camerosity".
    I'm not sure, but I think the front ring also holds series size filters.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

loujon

I can't imagine you haven't seen the manual for the 305mm f4.8 kodak Portrait Lens in Universal shutter on Camera Eccentric site.

I'll post the link just in case.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_1.html

Quote Originally Posted by buggz View Post
    How do I really know this the correct glass ?

you got a fake. send it to me , i will use it!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Nice try.
    Though seriously, I'm seeing there is no way to correctly ID the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    you got a fake. send it to me , i will use it!

loujon

Hey Buggz!

Why are you looking for trouble that way more than likely does not exist? I mean does the lens group barrel have an ill fit? is the FL not measuring up? Something other than the lack of manufacturing markings?

The chance that you have a "fake" lens group/barrel is highly unlikely. Have you mounted the lens and taken a look at your ground glass? If you have, is the view pleasingly diffused when wide open? Does it have a FL of 12"? Well then my money says it's the original and correct lens group.

My 305mm f4.8 Kodak Portrait rear group also bares no identification to speak of other then the simple fact it delivers a nice glow at 4.8 and has a FL of 12" and fit's the original construction as if it was made for it. Hey wait a minute. It is the original lens group.

Go make some creatively different images and be glad you have a shuttered K.P. in your lens arsenal as they are getting harder to find even with "fake" lens groups.

Check flashlight reflections, from the back three, small, medium and large all move together.
    from the front the medium and large move in opposite directions from the central small.
    If this is demonstrated, you know you have a achromatic meniscus that fits your shutter.
    How many achromatic meniscus non Kodak portrait cells from other lenses will just happen to fit your shutter ( diameter, thread pitch, male/female)?
    You are right however, you will never know whether someone has switched this Kodak portrait lens into this shutter from another, otherwise identical, lens.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I agree that it is unlikely the lens was switched. Finding a correct thickness/diameter/focal length coated doublet with about the right diffusion would be difficult. And about half the value is in the #5 shutter, half in the lens, so why break them up and have an unmounted lens? But if you have reason to believe it was switched, the best way to check would be to compare the color of the coating reflections with another known sample.

BTW, the only manufacturer I know who actually marked their identification on the glass was Darlot, and they just wrote it by hand in pencil on the edges. So the type of identification you're asking for doesn't exist, to my knowledge.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Nah, not looking for trouble, just wondering.
    And I thank you very much for sharing the information that yours appear to be the same.
    We were in "monsoon season" this weekend, and STILL raining like crazy right now.
    Hope to get out this week and weekend, I need to badly...

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Hey Buggz!

Why are you looking for trouble that way more than likely does not exist? I mean does the lens group barrel have an ill fit? is the FL not measuring up? Something other than the lack of manufacturing markings?

The chance that you have a "fake" lens group/barrel is highly unlikely. Have you mounted the lens and taken a look at your ground glass? If you have, is the view pleasingly diffused when wide open? Does it have a FL of 12"? Well then my money says it's the original and correct lens group.

My 305mm f4.8 Kodak Portrait rear group also bares no identification to speak of other then the simple fact it delivers a nice glow at 4.8 and has a FL of 12" and fit's the original construction as if it was made for it. Hey wait a minute. It is the original lens group.

Go make some creatively different images and be glad you have a shuttered K.P. in your lens arsenal as they are getting harder to find even with "fake" lens groups.