Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where can I get a digital negative made?

Re: Where can I get a digital negative made?

Bob,

That sounds very focused on the machines you use and true service you provide.

All I was saying is that I can pull out a lot of detail at either end from film that just will not go out straight to paper. The response ranges just don't match. I can burn an apparent white area extensively to pull detail out that is present on the negative. Conversely, I can dodge extensively an apparently black area of print and pull out detail that is present in the silver. (am I the only one who can see fine detail on a backlit neg with loupe, that just seems impossible to get it to paper with a straight print?, if I am, that's broken and needs fixing itself)

If I could create a negative with these areas already enhanced and matched to the sensitivity range of my paper by altering them pre-print in Photoshop that would be cool.

Thanks for your info btw.

Richard

With a good scan , and good PS practice I believe you can pull out as much info (or more) from both ends.
    My post was directed at the reality of just how do you do that.
    I find a digital colour meter or info palette set to LAB provides the tools necessary to over time understand where to set your significant low and high points that will show detail by understanding the numbers.
    When I scan I use the meter without fail to make sure I am placing highlight and shadow where I want, and I continue this practice into PS .

This adherence to the numbers and a lot of test prints and now test negatives have allowed us to place tonality in critical areas that are the shadows or the highlights.
    I print under an enlarger as well as digitally and for both methods the endpoints are where that extra 5% of print quality lays.

I too do extensive dodges and burns when using an enlarger and without the dodge tool most of my prints would not be possible. I cannot even imagine how one does a straight print.. I know there are those who will argue a perfectly exposed neg and print will give you that perfect print without dodging and burning, I think this type of print style is very boring and only takes the print to about 85% of its potential.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSperry View Post
    Bob,

That sounds very focused on the machines you use and true service you provide.

All I was saying is that I can pull out a lot of detail at either end from film that just will not go out straight to paper. The response ranges just don't match. I can burn an apparent white area extensively to pull detail out that is present on the negative. Conversely, I can dodge extensively an apparently black area of print and pull out detail that is present in the silver. (am I the only one who can see fine detail on a backlit neg with loupe, that just seems impossible to get it to paper with a straight print?, if I am, that's broken and needs fixing itself)

If I could create a negative with these areas already enhanced and matched to the sensitivity range of my paper by altering them pre-print in Photoshop that would be cool.

Thanks for your info btw.

I've checked out your site previously and it's been bookmarked for awhile.

I see film processing. Scanning. And burning to paper.

I am missing the burning to film section, I can't find it. This is what I am looking for at this time. When I am rich and famous like Frank, I will probably toss out my Beselers and just have you do my paper prints for me too(but I am a beginner newbie and don't make much from my prints right now). Especially if I can essentially do all the dodging and burning on the 'negative' to get what I want on the print, relatively straight.

Ian is using a LVT and can burn to film for you. Currently we are only offering digital files to silver gelatin paper.

I am using a Lambda laser printer to image onto large film and using that film to make contact prints . My largest film to date was 24 x36 inch where we made lith prints for one of my clients.
    I am basically testing various options and not offering as a service, and frankly probably will never. There may come a day where I will output large film as a service for contact prints but we are a few years away from being 100% comfortable doing this.
    One of the great options with the potential of enlarged film is for people not requiring full on darkrooms to work and simple contact setups.
    We are really interested in a couple of University's working with us in this process as a school with many printing end processes could take advantage of the Lambda neg's.
    If we ever decide to offer this as a service to clients I will post here on Large Format and APUG.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSperry View Post
    I've checked out your site previously and it's been bookmarked for awhile.

I see film processing. Scanning. And burning to paper.

I am missing the burning to film section, I can't find it. This is what I am looking for at this time. When I am rich and famous like Frank, I will probably toss out my Beselers and just have you do my paper prints for me too(but I am a beginner newbie and don't make much from my prints right now). Especially if I can essentially do all the dodging and burning on the 'negative' to get what I want on the print, relatively straight.

Thank you Bob.

I'm pretty sure you will find it difficult if not impossible to get a continuous tone image from a digitally printed negative. Your typical digital printer only prints halftones. But then your digital file really isn't a continuous tone image to begin with. To get your halftone to appear close to a continuous tone image (like a photograph) you will need to make sure the digitally printed negative prints at a very high resolution (at least 1200 dpi) and at a high LPI (lines per inch) of at least 200 lpi. If you can find higher then so much the better. Keep in mind that any digital printer that prints negatives has been manufactured for the printing industry and is not intended to reproduce traditional continuous tone analog negatives and any company that has one will have it configured at the lowest resolution and LPI that works for printing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by ricklb55 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you will find it difficult if not impossible to get a continuous tone image from a digitally printed negative. Your typical digital printer only prints halftones. But then your digital file really isn't a continuous tone image to begin with. To get your halftone to appear close to a continuous tone image (like a photograph) you will need to make sure the digitally printed negative prints at a very high resolution (at least 1200 dpi) and at a high LPI (lines per inch) of at least 200 lpi. If you can find higher then so much the better. Keep in mind that any digital printer that prints negatives has been manufactured for the printing industry and is not intended to reproduce traditional continuous tone analog negatives and any company that has one will have it configured at the lowest resolution and LPI that works for printing purposes.
    I think you are living in 1980 dude