Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens values up?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lens values up?

After shopping for lenses that I stupidly sold years ago, I see that their values are way up.

I'm intrigued by this.

What are the reasons for the resurgence?

I don't think it is digital because my impression that digital backs for LF are non-existent or stupendously expensive.

Is it because of the rediscovery of film and large format is coming back in a big way?

...Vick

Re: Lens values up?

What lenses are you referring to? I can't help with advice but I'm interested in in the topic.

I think some lenses gain internet cult status, and demand increases. Internet sales have increased the value of some things, decreased the value of others.

Gun values are another category where similar changes have happened, although it seems to be a more uniform upward trend.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I see "Buy it Now" prices on ebay for lenses and cameras which seem to have gone up, but if you look in the completed listings most of those never sell. The lenses and cameras that do sell seem to be going for much lower prices. For example, I'd like to pick up a Sinar camera when next in the states and I often see them priced at $1000 or $2000 dollars, but when they are put up for bid they seem to go for 300-400. I bought a lovely fujinon/nar (I can't remember) 135mm in a copal 0 a few weeks ago for $210, which seemed a pretty good price.

But I do think film is coming back, and the super cheap deals are fewer these days. Still, top quality LF is a lot cheaper than top-end digital.

I'm lusting (irrationally) for an APO-Sironar-S 150mm. Sold one 3 years ago at $450. Now they are fetching $900 to $1K

Also looking at the uber-rare 135mm f3.5 T* Planar, say $3.5K~$4K in 2008. Now asking $5K~$10K. Maybe won't sell at that price, but still, what justifies that asking price? It's way beyond a user's budget.

Vick

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Ko View Post
    I'm lusting (irrationally) for an APO-Sironar-S 150mm. Sold one 3 years ago at $450. Now they are fetching $900 to $1K

Also looking at the uber-rare 135mm f3.5 T* Planar, say $3.5K~$4K in 2008. Now asking $5K~$10K. Maybe won't sell at that price, but still, what justifies that asking price? It's way beyond a user's budget.

Vick
    Why did those stupid Beany Babies sell for so much?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Wet plate collodion seems to really be driving the fast brass lens market.

I thought it would have slowed by now but it does not seem to be slowing.

The dall 5 a thaT sold for nearly $ 10k was a huge surprise. Looks like the big ones are really up there. Anyone want one? I got a couple inthe back closet somewhere!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I noticed that too. I think that through the internet word gets around quickly about "sleeper" lenses, and as mentioned there are the newly created "cult" lenses. Also with Nikon out of the biz and Fujis not being widely distributed in the US the only options for buyers are either very expensive new Rodenstocks and Schneiders OR used.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I suspect many of the more desireable lenses are targeted by collectors and investors more than by photographers---that will lead to higher prices as well.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Speaking for the collectors - Antique lenses had always taken a back seat to cameras up until about 10 years ago. Milan Z and others brought much more attention to lenses as collectibles in and of themselves..... Couple that with high user interest in the older processes (dag, wet plate, tintypes) as well as the "look" of antique lenses provide to LF imagery and voila, the market for older brass lenses has skyrocketed...

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html