Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: voigtlander braunschweig techinika-heliar 24cm 4.5 lens

voigtlander braunschweig techinika-heliar 24cm 4.5 lens

I have an opportunity to buy a Voigtlander "Technika" Heliar 24cm f/4.5 lens in a No. 5 universal ilex shutter!. Supposed to be rare. anybody know anything about this lens. What would be a fair price? have been unsuccessful in finding prices.

Thanks

Re: voigtlander braunschweig techinika-heliar 24cm 4.5 lens

I vaguely remember seeing about 3 of them for auction all in the $500-$700(?) range. Keep in mind the shutter is no longer a common size. Lens board and retaining ring might add appreciably to the cost if you don't DIY.
    Jeff Keller

Not rare, per se, but a nice lens. I would estimate in the $350-$550 range, the shutter is keeping the price from being higher ( a more modern shutter would have a higher value ). Also, if the lens is coated, its worth a bit more.

The "Technika" badge, just means it was hand selected by, or for, Linhof for use on its cameras - usually a sign that the lens had "extra" quality control or extra testing was done to ensure its [good] performance.

here is a 150mm one at ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LINHOF-VOIGTL...1%7C240%3A1318

my Heliar Lens article : http://www.antiquecameras.net/heliarlenses.html

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

$350-550 would only be reasonable for rare, long focal lengths, or a coated one in perfect condition. Uncoated, in common LF lengths from 135-240mm, they usually go for about half the price on ebay Germany, several times per week. Nearly all post WWI Heliar barrel mounts are compatible to standard size shutters, so you can also get barrel mounted ones.

As to that Heliar on the linked auction - beware, cia_love_animal is one of the many aliases of a rather notorious Aussie seller couple, which have a flourishing trade in optically wasted lenses with extensive exterior polishing and very euphemistic descriptions of their state. The "restorations" they perform on lenses are almost as nasty as the language with which they respond to complaints about their scratched and mouldy glass...

Sevo

Good to know Sevo...but I just checked Germany ebay auctions, and while I agree an older uncoated one would be in the $ 150-250 USD range, the Technika branded heliars, that are coated, are higher - more in the $ 350-500 range.... as we both state, the age of the lens, the shutter type, condition, and coating all matter to the final value...

thanks
    Dan

PS - the shutter alone ( # 5 Ilex Universal ) is probably worth at least $ 150 in good working order if it has a flange....

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    PS - the shutter alone ( # 5 Ilex Universal ) is probably worth at least $ 150 in good working order if it has a flange....
    Yep, you'd have to count that in. Provided that it is working - which it often is not on ebay, where most lenses have been shelved for years of even decades, often after the shutter initially became unreliable.

Given CLA prices and the about equal relation of immediately working, cleanable and BER'ed shutters, about 1/3 to 1/4 of the going rate for used working shutters is a reasonable estimate on the shutters that come with ebay lenses.

BTW, a "Technika" Heliar with Ilex #5 will probably be a plain pre-war Heliar in Ilex on a Technika lens board, rather than a (valuable) Linhof assembled and certified unit. Linhof used branded Compur (or occasionally Prontor Press) shutters (plus the inevitable Copals on late to current ones).

Sevo

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    ... BTW, a "Technika" Heliar with Ilex #5 will probably be a plain pre-war Heliar in Ilex on a Technika lens board, rather than a (valuable) Linhof assembled and certified unit. ...
    It could also be a Technika Heliar remounted in an Ilex shutter, in which case there is no guarantee for perfect cell spacing and centering.

A 240mm f:4.5 Technika Heliar should be originally mounted in a #4 Compound.

In this case it's clearly said in the thread title that it's marked "24cm". That makes it pre-WWII - and pre-Technika too!

I believe there was an identical, if not the same, lens on eBay a couple months ago. If I remember correctly, it was a Linhof select, late model Heliar in a late model Ilex 5 Universal shutter and sold for $650.

This lens in question could very well be factory issued. I once had (still kicking myself for selling it) a Linhof select, very late model Apo Lanthar 30cm F4.5 lens factory-mounted in a late model Ilex 5 Universal shutter (see attached). So, I don't believe the cm vs mm markings could be used to identify positively the vintage. The Ilex 5 shutter was never listed in the catalogs as an option, I believe, and maybe was only used on a very small batch of select lenses during the last years of production.

Quote Originally Posted by leicabuff View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a Voigtlander "Technika" Heliar 24cm f/4.5 lens in a No. 5 universal ilex shutter!. Supposed to be rare. anybody know anything about this lens. What would be a fair price? have been unsuccessful in finding prices.

Thanks

this is a photo of the lens in question, stated in the ilex shutter "Heliar 24cm" factory issue?