Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Will I get beaten up if ...

Re: Will I get beaten up if ...

What part of...

"The purpose of the forum is to provide a place for discussion of topics of particular interest to large format photographers. We especially encourage questions which will help build a repository of knowledge about the tools and techniques of large format photography, as opposed to "shopping" questions. For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras)."

... indicates one must post in "Safe Haven For Tiny Formats" if using roll film with a 4x5 camera? There is the exception in bold (my emphasis).

The upcoming Google/Apple satellites can discern enough detail to tell us which film you used.

TAKEN FROM THE LF FAQ PAGE
    "For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras)."

Old-N-Feeble has it correct:

If read carefully, it is patently clear that "medium format" sizes are permissible if exposed in a VIEW CAMERA. The language does not specify the size of the view camera, I.e. "large format" or 4x5 view camera. It simply states "exposed in a view camera", not necessarily a "large format" camera. The camera in question, while it may be a medium
    format camera, is, nonetheless, a "view camera" in every respect.

Based on the existing FAQ statement / policy, it does not seem appropriate to relegate
    such posts (including images) to the "tiny format" category.

Can we move on ?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    It simply states "exposed in a view camera", not necessarily a "large format" camera.
    So it all depends on your definition of "view camera".

Now we can start this thread all over, arguing about that definition rather than the definition of "LF".

Ain't we lucky?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

No, Leigh, it depends on the rules.... not an individual's definition of LF. According to the rules even a Baby Graphic (6x7cm roll film) qualifies. The owners and Mods of this forum are far more open-minded than we elitist individuals... TG.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

Now we can start this thread all over, arguing about that definition rather than the definition of "LF".

Ain't we lucky?

- Leigh
    A view camera is a camera with movements to allow perspective correction and control of the focal plane.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras)."
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    A view camera is a camera with movements to allow perspective correction and control of the focal plane.
    Done. Thread closed.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Didn't they also make a 5x7 press camera?

Steve
    Just saw one a few days ago. In wonderful condition, also. If anyone in the SF Bay Area would like to see it, it is part of a show at PhotoCentral in Hayward. The show has prints made from glass plate negatives of the building of the Golden Gate Bridge, along with recent images of the bridge taken by participants of a recent workshop who photographed the bridge for the show (I have a 4x10 carbon print and an 11x14 contact print onto silver gelatin in the show -- as well as a 30"x72" inkjet print from a 4x10 neg). One of my boys also has two prints in the show -- but taken with a Rolleiflex.

Worth seeing if you are anywhere near. http://www.photocentral.org/shows.html