Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Monorail for Portraits?

8x10 Monorail for Portraits?

I've come to terms with the fact that I only use my Deardorff V8 for portraits, and almost always in "the studio". I've also come to terms with the fact that, as beautiful as the 'dorff, is, it's just not as stable at full extension as I'd like, and since I almost always use it more or less extended, maybe it's not the best camera for me? I'm not really interested in a Studio camera, so that leaves, what? A monorail, or a Calumet C1? DO any of the 8x10 monorails have 6x6 lens boards? Can anyone recommend an 8x10 monorail especially well suited to portrait work?

Re: 8x10 Monorail for Portraits?

Jay,

I can't speak to the monorail question, but my C-1 is a great camera for portraits. It's rock solid at full extension, too. The worst thing about the camera is the fact that it is rear focusing only. With shorter lenses this means leaning over the protruding rear rail to focus. But when more fully extended, as it would be for portraits or close-up work, this flaw is mitigated. It's got six inch lens boards to boot. And if you're not hoofing the camera around anywhere but indoors the weight isn't an issue, either.

Added bonus: the C-1 isn't all that expensive.

(Sorry if this doesn't directly address your question.)

Jonathan

A heavy tripod makes it much easier to work faster, you don't worry about bumping something out of position, you can slide the holders in faster without worrying, etc. A bargain Majestic is hard to beat if you don't need to carry it far.

The C1 is certainly a good serviceable camera but I would buy based on condition, a lot of the $500-ish C1s, Cambos, Toyos are great except for their bellows. Try to find one with a nice bellows first and foremost, since a replacement will be at least $250.

Sometimes you see 8x10 Sinar Ps go inexpensively and while they are great cameras, again the bellows matters most. Also the gearing on the more complex cameras can be fouled and why they are going for cheap. It would be hard to damage a C1 and the simple Cambos/Toyos are almost as tough.

Thanks, guys. I didn't know that about the C1 rear focus. I don't think that would be a big issue for me, but it's worth knowing. I would definitely consider a C1, and I'll keep your admonition about bellows condition in mind, Frank. I Use my 'dorff with a big Majestic tripod, so I don't think that's an issue for me.

Jonathan, what's the max extension of the C1? If I remember correctly, it's something like 34"? The 6" lens board is good to know, too. I couldn't mount my Verito on a smaller one, I don't think.

Any monorail contenders?

Jay,

My camera is not set up at the moment so I can't measure for you, but I remember 32" - 34" being about right for max. extension. I have read that Deardorff 6" lens boards are interchangeable with C-1 6" lens boards. (I'd verify this first, though.) If true there would be no remounting of lenses required in your case.

I don't want to sound like a C-1 advocate, though. I enjoy mine, but I always default to the 2D for outdoor work. The 2D is more rickety and has fewer movements, but dragging the C-1 out of its case is twice the hassle of grabbing the 2D and setting it up. For your needs this would be less of an issue.

Lastly, while my C-1 is in very good condition (a later black aluminum model with replacement bellows) I have read that since many of the movements are friction based and not geared you need to be careful about joint wear on well-used models. No sense in having front tilt if you can't lock it down securely!

Jonathan

EDIT: I must say that since I got my Century 10A studio camera with its stand earlier in the year I absolutely love having a big camera always at the ready on a wheeled stand. The poor C-1 is not seeing its share of daylight these days as a result.

Hi Jay,

I'm a newbie here and just getting started in 8x10 and have a Cambo 810N, solid, non-geared. Simple like Frank says. Max bellows extension is 27" and change with the front standard reversed. I was just looking at this last night with a new-to-me Nikkor 480mm. I'd keep that in mind with the Cambo's (I don't know if the geared SCX or Legend's have any more extension). I think the Toyo's have more extension but the Cambo's are not that hard to find, take a 6x6 lensboard (more or less), and pretty reasonable price-wise. I think the fact that there is very little that could be considered 'elegant' (bulky U-Frames) about their design makes them somewhat less desirable in the eyes of many. Kind of grows on you, though. With the geared models most people seem to just want to get rid of them because of the weight but that wouldn't be a factor in the studio. Keep in mind, though, that the geared models use a proprietary rail and can sometimes be hard to find if you need an extension.

Carl

Which Verito, Jay? My 18" wouldn't fit on a 6x6 KMV board without complex machining because of the way the board is designed and the way it mates with the camera. A completely flat 6x6 board would have a greater useable diameter for accepting a large lens. Something to keep in mind.

I like my Sinar P, but that has a 5.5" board. The Toyo monorail has 6x6 (158mm) boards, but I haven't used it.

Jonathan, the C1 seems like it might be a very real option. A studio camera would be, too, but I have to haul my equipment to the studio, and the 10A is anything but portable.

Carl, thanks for the info on the Cambo. I briefly used a 4x5 version, so I have an idea of its design. I think I need 32" extension at a minimum, and more would be better. I bet there's a way to add extension.

Tony, I have the 14-1/2" Verito, and it mounts on my 6" 'dorff board, but barely. That's too bad about the Sinar P boards -- I've been looking at that camera as a potential option.

re. Cambo: Could always use a second 4x5 standard and bellows. I just picked up a 4x5 SCII something-or-other over the weekend and have a 1x1" piece of extruded aluminum to cut to length for a DIY SC-style long rail. None of these options would be new to you and Cambo's are inexpensive to buy. I, too, think that C1 option sounds pretty attractive, though.

Tony, I really like the looks of the Sinar P. I think I'd be willing to trade my V8 for one. Happen to know the max extension?