Thread: Springs on my Orbit 4x5 with Polaroid 405

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Springs on my Orbit 4x5 with Polaroid 405

So I tried a quick search and only found one other person with the question and it didn't really answer to me. So I picked up a used B&J Orbit 4x5 monorail camera and have been starting to teach myself how to use it all. I picked up a Polaroid 405 packfilm holder because I've been shooting a lot with my land camera prior and have a good amount of film to use while I learn. I'm just having trouble because for the life of me, I can't get the 405 to slide under the ground glass like a normal sheet film holder. It's just too large. The only work around I've been able to rig is if I undo the springs holding the top of the ground glass so it just kind of hangs there, then jam the film pack in just using the tension from the bottom half of the springs and shoot like that.
    I don't really like having to undo my springs, risk bending or breaking things for my camera to work, so my question is has anyone else conquered this issue yet? Is it possible to buy longer springs for the ground glass back and replace them? Am I just going to have to live with it? Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Springs on my Orbit 4x5 with Polaroid 405

As far as I know the 405 holder was meant to used with the Graflok back system. My Speed Graphic and my Toyo 45A have Graflok backs whereby you unclip the whole ground glass mechanism and attach the 405 holder in its place via sliding metal locking tabs. Personally I've never tried to mount it by sliding it UNDER the GG like a regular 4x5 holder, although it may be possible.

I'm not familiar with the Orbit 4x5 and can't answer that part of your question.

Jonathan