Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 8x10 photographers

Re: 8x10 photographers

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    What what??
    Sorry, my response was to the post above that was deleted by Ken. It made no sense at all. Weird, but when I posted my "what?" mine was right under that one. Now there are some in between. In any case, the puzzling post has been removed so disregard mine. Sorry for the confusion.

A couple of Brits: Jem Southam and Simon Norfolk. I also love Mike Smith (from the USA) but don't know if he uses 4x5 or 8x10.

I have a MF Simon Norfolk and Bleed, a LF one. Somewhat depressing and to me a poor, incoherrant example of a book, possibly using genocide to get noticed and build a career, nothing about the perpetrators nor survivors, only the artifacts left for us to see.

My favourite in a very long time is Berenice Abbot's "Documenting Science" printed by Steidl. A really innovative work and a very good example of what conceptual photography should be. I think its at least as monumental as any other photo book published. Absolutely fascinating book, but maybe not for everyone.

David, I have the Abbot book on my Christmas list. The family have an annoying habit of substituting for something similar they think I'll like better, so I may have to get it for myself. I've used her images in my own lecturing. It's amazing how much of the common visual language of canonical physics goes back to her.

I like the Norfolk work in Liberia and Scotland. Bosnia was a low point, but some of the Afghan photos are worth a long look. Like Abbot, and many of the more contemplative photographers, there is a tension between what you see and what you know. I find the interaction between perception and knowledge fascinating - it's one of the major reasons I am attracted to photography.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

One of Nick Nixon's books would be an interesting counterpoint. He does mostly handheld work. It's wonderful, and manages to maintain a sense of 8x10ness.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Sorry, my response was to the post above that was deleted by Ken. It made no sense at all. Weird, but when I posted my "what?" mine was right under that one. Now there are some in between. In any case, the puzzling post has been removed so disregard mine. Sorry for the confusion.
    No worries
    I thought you hated those artists
    Or I wasn't sure
    So I uped your anti
    In a friendly funny way
    No violence intended
    Tongue always in cheek
    through a glass darkly...

Meadowlands by Joshua Lutz
    Toshio Shibata both in black and white and color.