Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of wet mounting?

Benefits of wet mounting?

What are the benefits of wet mounting over dry mounting for drum scanning? I understand that it helps minimize dust and scratches but will it produce better overall scans?

Re: Benefits of wet mounting?

I've never done any wet mounting but have recently been reading about it as I'm planning on picking up a betterscanning.com film holder. Apparently the fluid can help give a sharper scan. I read that dry mounting with the betterscanning film holder will give you 90% of the quality available from that film holder with wet scanning giving you the extra 10%.

after getting my drum scanner, which most people wet-mount with, I was finding my scans had more clarity, tonal range, and overall, less of a "veil" over the image.

Think of a fog filter, a very light one, but there. On Imacon scans(CCD), they're there. On my Epson 1680 I use for proofing, they're there. I prefer to leave my scans somewhat "open" on the black and white levels, and do final adjustments on a fully calibrated monitor.

But with a drum scanner, this "veil" is lifted pretty much in its entirety. I've been re-scanning negatives shot 4-5yrs ago, and I now have a new look at them, and have considered printing a few I thought were essentially "lost" due to only having access to my Epson, and a local photo centers Imacon 848.

I've got no experience with wet-mounting on a flatbed scanner, but I've got it in mind to try it on my Epson, right smack dab on the glass bed itself

maybe sometime this next week

-Dan

It eliminates Newton's rings. Done properly, it securely holds down the negative. (There's more space to tape the mylar sheet than there is to tape a negative directly.) It gives a "richer" image. To see the latter, take two similar transparencies. Wet mount one on a light table. Place the non-mounted one next to it. You will be able to easily see the difference.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

But if you had a drum scanner with non-removable drum, what can be done to secure the film on the drum as much as possible and at the same time eliminate Newton's rings?

Quote Originally Posted by LF_rookie_to_be View Post
    But if you had a drum scanner with non-removable drum, what can be done to secure the film on the drum as much as possible and at the same time eliminate Newton's rings?
    wet mounting. tape the edges.

Wow, thanks for the rapid-fast answer, Vinny. So there is no danger to the scanner's innards if the edges are taped well? How to make sure no fluid drops inside (other than uttermost care)?

The benefits of wet mounting? Less friction.

Quote Originally Posted by LF_rookie_to_be View Post
    Wow, thanks for the rapid-fast answer, Vinny. So there is no danger to the scanner's innards if the edges are taped well? How to make sure no fluid drops inside (other than uttermost care)?
    you don't need very much fluid, too much can be harder to deal with. if you're not using the right tape (aztek sells it) and the mylar comes loose, you'll have a mess on your hands at ??RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by rich caramadre View Post
    What are the benefits of wet mounting ... will it produce better overall scans?
    You seem to be under the impression that you get a choice, but you don't. Fluid mounting is the only way to create great scans with a drum scanner. Without it, you don't have much more than an overgrown and very slow consumer flatbed.

Bruce Watson