Thread: Hello from São Paulo, Brazil

Hello from São Paulo, Brazil

Hello everyone,

I am 43 years old and live in São Paulo, Brazil. Since I was a teenager I devoted myself to the study of philosophy and literature, but always dreaming about doing some form of art. Six years ago, I decided that the time had come, and started photographing with a Canon Rebel camera. It was a turning point in my life. Three months later, I started using 35mm films and left behind all my academic activities to dedicate myself to artistic photography only. Very rapidly, I moved from 35mm to MF and then to LF. Nowadays, I use only 4x5” and 8x10” B&W films. I have a Linhof Technika V and a Deardorff v8, besides some Zeiss and Schneider lenses. I still have my Hassel but I’m planning to sell it since I do not use it anymore. My Leica cameras and lenses I sold some years ago. I process my films in a Jobo ATL-2000, mainly with Rodinal (in fact, R09 and Adonal). I’m now using Adox films. I don’t do traditional prints. My images are scanned in an Itek Drum Scanner and printed in an Epson 3800 printer, after some PS. Last year, I did my first photo exhibition. It was in Helsinki, Finland, with my friend Jukka Pääkkönen. Some weeks ago, I was also contemplated with a Merit Award in the B&W Magazine 2012 Black and White Portfolio Contest. My photographic work can be seen here: www.joseluissilva.fot.br . I could say without much fear of mistake, what I mean by artistic photography is what Edward Weston did. I still use to read a lot, but my main activity today is photography. I hope to use this space for sharing information and experiences. Thank you all!

Cheers,
    José Luís

Re: Hello from São Paulo, Brazil

Welcome! You've got some lovely stuff on your site.

Re: Hello from São Paulo, Brazil

Thanks Andrew! Beautiful images in your website. Beautiful tones in your images.