Thread: Installing barrel lens to a shutter

Installing barrel lens to a shutter

Hi,

I received a free G Claron 210mm f/1:9 barrel lens. Can anyone direct me to instructions on how to install the lens to a shutter?

Also, can anyone refer me to someone who will install lens to shutter for a reasonable price?

Thanks all,
    i.candide

Re: Installing barrel lens to a shutter

Congratulations! The G Claron is a great lens!
    The nuances of mounting G Clarons into shutters (IiRC Copals & Prontors) has been covered before. There are some details that slip my mind so do a search here and you'll get the skinny. Most of the time it will simply screw in the correct size shutter and the proper aperture scale for the copal are available from Calumet, or so I've read.
    The 210 G Claron is f/9
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

S.K. Grimes web site has quite a bit of information about mounting lenses to shutters. You might find some useful information there.

http://www.skgrimes.com/lens-mounting
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

It will fit in any Copal 1 shutter. If you have a Copal 1 with 210 mm in it already, it would fit in that shutter and the aperture scale would even be usable. Remove the other elements, and screw the G-Claron ones in instead. They'll come right out of the barrel.

Red face Re: Installing barrel lens to a shutter

Thank you all for the help .

John Kasaian - Most of my forum access is through tapatalk. The search function sucks big time. Most of the searches just gives me unfiltered forum topics. I had to wait until I could access from the net. Finally got the information, though. Lots of it.

Brian Ellis - Great link. Got me on the right path of thinking.

Jim Gali - I will scour the various auctions/classifieds for a problem 210 with shutter.

Also, I'm going to explore the possibility of a Packard or simular shutter.

i.candide
    Dangerous to Oneself

Lenses off of old Polaroid copy cameras usually come in either Copal or Prontor shutters that should work. I recollect reading that some of the Prontors may have impediments when it comes to simply screwing in G Claron cells, but I could be wrong.
    Dr. Jim Galli has probably performed more G-Claron cell transplants than the Mayo Clinic so I'd suggest seeing if perhaps he has an appropriate shutter up for sale before wading into the muck & mire of ebay.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Lenses off of old Polaroid copy cameras usually come in either Copal or Prontor shutters that should work. I recollect reading that some of the Prontors may have impediments when it comes to simply screwing in G Claron cells, but I could be wrong.
    Dr. Jim Galli has probably performed more G-Claron cell transplants than the Mayo Clinic so I'd suggest seeing if perhaps he has an appropriate shutter up for sale before wading into the muck & mire of ebay.
    ...some of the Prontor Polaroid shutters have the apertures restricted to <17mm, so be careful there, unless you can live with f12.5.....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."