Thread: Can i mount Kiev TTL spot prism on Linhof 6x9 fround glass?

Can i mount Kiev TTL spot prism on Linhof 6x9 fround glass?

Friend of mine going to send me Kiev TTL spot metering prism, he has no use for it, but it is pretty accurate, within +- 1/3 stops from his sekonic (as he said me).
    I'm planning to make adapter board and place this prism over Linhof super technika 6x9 ground glass.
    Do you think this combination will work? I know i will get view limited to 6x6, but it seems nice to have spot metering with all filters and bellows extention... I heard about mounting Kiev Prism on Rollei and Mamiya TLRs: http://www.photographical.net/tlr_ttl.html

Please let me know your opinion.
    Thanks!

I've adapted a Kiev TTL Spot prism to a Bronica S2A, and I think it would be possible to make some sort of adapter plate that would let you use it on a 6x9 Technika just for metering purposes, maybe replacing the folding hood (it reads off the groundglass), but I think it would be really awkward to use, since you have to be able to look through it without hitting your forehead on some protruding part of the camera.

David, a Kiev meter on your S2A! For shame.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

David, thanks. I'm going to use "right angle finder" to be able to look through it without hitting my forehead.

Now i have another question - will it be possible to move prism farther away from ground glass to increase view area?

Hey Eric, that Bronica TTL metering prism is charming and clever, but not terribly practical.

Yuri, I don't think it will work to move the prism away from the groundglass. I don't think it can focus properly that way, and I would think the light loss could make metering less reliable, but you could try rigging up something temporary and see how it works.

I will try to move it away from the groundglass. I'm thinking about using diopters to focus it. Lightmeter will need to be recalibrated to compensate light loss, but it easy to do with those kiev prisms. I think it will be really cool to have metered 6x9 prism. I hope prism will also eliminate the need of dark cloth for focusing.

Will post results on this forum...

GO here

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=kievreport&nav=start

These folks are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to kievs. If they have not done it I imagine they could suggest how. if not they are a great bunch any way.

When and if you figure it out I would love to have a use for my meter prism, focusing the Galvin would much easier. I use the non meter prism on my Kiev because it is much lighter and I hate the waist level finder. Good luck.