Thread: red dot artar???

red dot artar???

Hi, I had a chance to buy a 150mm red dot artar, Schneider, in compur I think. Anyone have experience of this lens? what it is good at? Thanks.

red dot artar???

david,

I don't know about your specific lens, but I've got four artars, two red dots, two apos, and IMHO, to get a useful image circle, I think you're better off with a longer lens than what would be considered "normal" for whatever format you're using. For general photography I would think a 150mm Artar on a 4x5 would be a very tight fit and might not allow any moves at all, and possibly even vignette. A 210mm however, would probably work out OK. For example, I know my 14" Artar allows for some movement on my 8x10, so I'd be quite suspect of sticking on a 12"er---close to the equivalent of a 150mm on a 4x5---to the front of the ol 'dorff. Your milage, as they say, may vary. Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

red dot artar???

I had a 12" Red Dot Artar. These lenses are legendary for their sharpness. But mine was soft at large distances. Of course, an artar is a process lens. Some were specifically adjusted at the factory for long distances. A good lens person can sometimes adjust the lens for distance shooting, even though it was originally optimized for copy distances.

red dot artar???

Hi David If you want someone who knows (and idolizes) red dot Arters, click onto e**y and search by seller for dagor77. (Andrew in Hollywood). If there is any info on Arters, he has it. You can get his email address from his e**y auction site, plus he has a great sense of humor to boot!

red dot artar???

Goerz listed the Red Dot Artar as covering 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" at infinity.

red dot artar???

Thanks for the kind words R :-)

The wee Artar will cover 4x5 without any problem but the bigger problem as I see it is the slow aperture size, a faster lens of maybe F6.8 size may be a better choice.

CP Goerz

red dot artar???

I use a 4" red Dot Artar on my 6 x 9 Arca Swiss with no problems. I would not have enough coverage to do architectual shots, however it is not wide enough for that use anyhow! Bill