Thread: Books about architecture?

Books about architecture?

I've studied the usual books on architectural photography, which are helpful with techniques and examples. But I still feel I should know more about basic architectural principles. It helps me to know something about my subject when trying to photograph it. I went to my local public library and was overwhelmed by the many books on architecture and its history, but there seemed to be very few introductory texts. I would like something like a text for 'Architecture 101' which would include information about basic principles and an outline of important history. Other more specialized texts which might be of interest to a photographer would also be helpful. One other problem is that authors often assume one is familiar with specialized terms like 'spandrel' and 'mullion' which are seldom defined.

I am interested in taking pictures of local houses and some larger buildings. At some point, I may try to dive into photographing the many interesting large buildings in Chicago, but for the moment, I will concentrate on the somewhat less monumental structures, mainly in Evanston. There is a lot of change going on, and I would like to record some of these buildings before they are torn down.

Leonard,

I can help you with this topic as I am an architect, and have lived in Evanston for many years. (Now Wilmette.) Evanston Library is an excellent source for architecture.

For a general text I would suggest:

Meaning in Western Architecture by Christian Norberg-Schulz

For modern architecture here are some authors:

Vincent Scully Keneth Frampton

feel free to email me off this site for more.

David Brubaker
    David Brubaker

Leonard:

Three books that I have found especially useful are: A Field Guide to American Houses by Virginia & Lee McAlester, A History of Architecture on the Comparative Method, by Sir Banister Fletcher, and Instant Architecture by Eleanor Lynn Nesmith. All three are, I believe, still in print. A Field Guide covers house of all sizes from the 17th century to today. Lots of good drawings to show the parts of a house, architectural features, terms, etc. Banister Fletcher (as it is universially called in architectural schools) is the definitive book on world architectural history from the beginning of time. My copy, from the 1960s, is the 17th edition. A lot of information on Greek and Roman architecture. Instant Architecture is a more lighthearted look at architectural history and styles--a quick, fun overview compared to the 1,300 plus page Banister Fletcher. One other book deserves special mention: Roger Kennedy's Greek Revival America. This book is, by far, the best I've see on the Greek Revival style. Photographically, it is excellent, with both B&W and color. (The first three books offer information, but are not the visual delight that the Kennedy book is.) This book was published in 1989 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. I don't know if it is still available. Hope this helps. Louis Joyner

I agree with Banister Fletcher as a good general look up book though the problem there might be too much information. If you want to learn about local houses that will probably come under 'Vernacular Arcitecture' ie designed by the builder not the architect. The standard book in the UK would be Vernacular Architecture by R.W. Brunskill and I expect there are similar books in the US.

Unless you're wedded to the idea of a college overview text, I'd suggest Andrea Palladio's The Four Books of Architecture and John Ruskin's The Seven Lamps of Architecture. Jane Jacobs's The Death and Life of Great American Cities is contoversial and thought-provoking.

Leonard,

I can't think of a better or more in-depth explanation of what's happened to architecture than you'll find in From Bauhaus to Our House by Tom Wolfe. Quite an insightful read, IMHO.

Bruce Watson

You are lucky to be in Chicago! Stop in at the Prarie Avenue Bookstore- 418 S. Wabash. It's been called "the best architectural bookstore in the world" for good reason. Tell them what you are trying to do, they can help. You might consider the "Encyclopedia of American Architecture" by Packard and Korab. Balthazar Korab is a friend and architectural photographer from Detroit whose work is world famous. The book is filled with it and is a good general survey. I second the "Bauhaus to Our House" as the "inside story" of american architects, at least at the time it was written. It is cynical, funny and brilliant. A good architectural dictionary will help with terminology- there are several choices. Frank Ching's "Architecture: Form, Space & Order" is a good presentation of basic architectural principals and concepts. You might also check the IIT bookstore for introductory texts that are assigned to underclass architectural students. Finally, I often recommend Peter Blake's "The Master Builders" as a good introduction to the 3 most important architects of the 20th century (Wright, LeCorbusier, Mies). By the way, Chicago is a great place to walk around and look at a lot of the works that you will read about!

In my opinion the best introduction to the history of architecture is "A history of Architecture" by Spiro Kostof. Comprehensive, relatively non-technical and a joy to read. Vincent Scully's "Architecture the natural and the manmade" is also fine, however it is a little more demanding (architectural historians love to use difficult language).

If you are interested in visual perception, the expressive qualities of buildings and the interpretation of architectural spaces, a must read is Rudolf Arnheim's "The dynamics of Architectural spaces".

And yes, visit the Prarie Avenue Bookstore, they can provide you with valuable advice.

As for a quick reference on architectural terminology try this:
    http://ah.bfn.org/a/DCTNRY/vocab.html