Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 90mm & architecture – why the popularity?

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    It's probably an older project. McGrath's been shooting digitally and the project is not on Dattner's site.

It's a good example of perspective, but they are both boring shots.
    Boring, maybe. And certainly not recent, though I fail to see how this is an issue of digital or film or when it was done. But I bet he got paid. And I suspect that the shot fulfilled its requirements, especially within the context of the portfolio on that building. That's the job of a professional, no matter what the field. The clients get the best work they are willing to pay for.

Rick "who has hired lots of photographers" Denney

bdkphoto

Re: 90mm & architecture – why the popularity?

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Boring, maybe. And certainly not recent, though I fail to see how this is an issue of digital or film or when it was done. But I bet he got paid. And I suspect that the shot fulfilled its requirements, especially within the context of the portfolio on that building. That's the job of a professional, no matter what the field. The clients get the best work they are willing to pay for.

Rick "who has hired lots of photographers" Denney
    Someone asked about the project. I've met Norman several times, and know that he's been shooting with digital, and I've worked with Dattner. Led me to surmise it's an older project. That's all.
    You don't know what the assignment was, and whether the client requested that specific shot, or left McGrath to his own choices on the project. It's also possible it was just shot for the book. You are just guessing.

Perhaps you will have the opportunity to hire Norman for one of your shoots.

Someone asked about the project. I've met Norman several times, and know that he's been shooting with digital, and I've worked with Dattner. Led me to surmise it's an older project. That's all.
    You don't know what the assignment was, and whether the client requested that specific shot, or left McGrath to his own choices on the project. It's also possible it was just shot for the book. You are just guessing.

Perhaps you will have the opportunity to hire Norman for one of your shoots.
    Considering that you seem to agree with my guesses, I'm wondering why you are arguing.

Rick "who could do without the ad hominem" Denney

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

jb7, i only really noticed the distortion because i was looking for it!

my eye followed the bright high roof, down to the left and to the back. the image gives me a sense of the scale of the building and the effect that the architecture is designed to have, an awe inspiring one.
    through a glass darkly...

There's a word that describes a guy with a day job and a photo hobby who thinks he knows the photography business.

It's called "poseur".

You know what I mean.

Bruce "who has real clients that collaborate with him to get the best work, period".
    Not always. Look at Richard Wasserman's Chicago River Project-started and largely completed when he owned and managed his family's lighting company (since sold). That project has launched a second career for him. Sometimes great professional level work is done by amateurs (in the classic sense of the term).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks for the kind words Kirk—they are much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Not always. Look at Richard Wasserman's Chicago River Project-started and largely completed when he owned and managed his family's lighting company (since sold). That project has launched a second career for him. Sometimes great professional level work is done by amateurs (in the classic sense of the term).

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RO-01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	99934

A 75mm is very useful when there just isn't enough space to get a longer lens to work. This an interior image of an eating area looking into the kitchen that I designed a few years ago. I often use a Tota-light balance to daylight for some infill light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RO-01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	99934

A 75mm is very useful when there just isn't enough space to get a longer lens to work. This an interior image of an eating area looking into the kitchen that I designed a few years ago. I often use a Tota-light balance to daylight for some infill light. The problem with wide angle lenses is the distortion especially at the corners and edges

Frank I have designed many boxes here in Western Washington - but I have seen pictures of a airplane hanger in Ketchem Idaho with curved glass block corners on all corners. It wasn't the least expensive airplane hanger to build. The few hangers I have designed were metal pre-engineered boxes.