Thread: Pointed and Shot

Re: Pointed and Shot

cambo wide 650/arista 100/hc110

CW_2009_05_02v007 by steve_barry, on Flickr

CW_2009_04_06v005 by steve_barry, on Flickr

CW_2009_04_05v005 by steve_barry, on Flickr

CW_2009_04_05v001 by steve_barry, on Flickr

I think you need to define what you think a point and shoot is. Does a Polaroid conversion count?

joseph

Good to see some pictures from others posted here- I like that last one in particular-

Define a point and shoot?

Well, because we're posting here, it has to follow the rules- so, minimum 4x5. I think the smaller FP100 might not be acceptable, but that would need clarification. The Fuji 45, or polaroid 45 should be fine. I think there are some technical rulings which prohibit anything smaller being posted, unless they were taken on a view camera, and a view camera is not a point and shoot. Usually.

A polaroid conversion is a point and shoot, a press camera is, and obviously, any of the purpose built cameras are.

Any camera that you can use with a viewfinder, without having to compose on a ground glass would count, although that's not to say that you couldn't use a ground glass- the ability to shoot hand held would also be a factor, although shooting hand held could be quite wasteful, and only one of the pictures I've posted here so far has been hand held.

Basically, a point and shoot is a camera you wouldn't mind taking with you on your holidays which isn't going to piss off any of your traveling companions who might ask difficult questions, like, why don't you take a picture on your phone, or, what are you doing carrying that big heavy bag around...

They are limiting, of course, usually a wide angle, limited or no movements, sometimes fixed focus- but that limitation can also be a liberation, in forcing you to concentrate on what's available, rather than rummage around for different lenses to suit the multitude of possibilities any scene offers.

So let's see some more...

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a "P&S" in large format? Is that like a press camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    I've searched, but I can't find a thread specifically for point and shoots, and there has been a lot of discussion about p&s cameras this year. Maybe some more of you can post your pictures here.

This one from a visit to Mystic Seaport in Connecticut last month. Apparently, wooden cameras are much appreciated by those who restore wooden sailing ships. Jon was cutting an opening in the roof to allow some large component to be craned in. The ship is the Charles W. Morgan.

Strad...read the post above/before yours...

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Not to many "P&S" large format cameras out there is why many have made their own.. I would think that any LF camera that can be hand held while shooting would qualify as such

There are a ton of hand holdable 4x5 cameras available though, if you include any of the old press type cameras - which were all designed to be hand held, and are just as capable as any other hand held imo.

joseph

Maybe this was a bad idea for a thread, even if it follows the model of similar threads, not pictorially based, but defined by materials and equipment- x-ray film, Pinkham and Smith, and Post your Petzval shots are ones that spring readily to mind.

I would have thought that there were more than three P&S's out there though...

So, to accompany a bad thread with a bad picture-

This one is being printed at 16x24, as a present for someone. I'll make one for myself at around 13x19". It just looks muddy here, too much detail at the wrong scale.

However, if I'd shot it on a Holga, or a Petzval, it might have attracted many oohs and aahs on the internet- perhaps blurry scales better, perhaps it's just a bad shot. Converted from Provia again. I have a T55 too, but adding filtration in PP was just too much of a temptation.

joseph

Continuing to flog this...

Quaker Meeting House, Rye, NY.

Complaints about the verticals may be directed towards the carpenter, though I'm responsible for not clearing the T55 properly...

Mystic Seaport is one of the few truly photogenic tourist spots ~ nice work.