Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any One Interested In Organizing an East Coast Conference ?

Any One Interested In Organizing an East Coast Conference ?

Ashville,NC...Now your getting close. I live on the west coast of the east coast. (N.C. Outer Banks). However, I think that Charleston,SC or Savanna,Ga. would also be good. (old towns).

Thanks Steve Simmons!

Asheville is a nice city within an hours drive of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (at least parts of it), and it also sits conveniently on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Shining Rock Wilderness and Linville Falls Wilderness are about an hour away via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Western North Carolina also has one of the highest waterfall "densities" in the eastern United States.

The catawba rhododendron bloom is spectacular on the Parkway, as are the fall colors.

And no, I don't live there. I'm a 100 miles west.

Thanks!

Steve

Jason,

>>I think that this would be a good time to mention that I've tried on a few occasions to organize a large format group, most likely starting with a group outing, in the tri-state/northeast area. All two or three attempts that I made have failed.

Part of the problem is that not everyone wants to hike with a 4x5. Several of us wanted to shoot in NYC, but you didn't seem too interested. I'd still like to get a gathering of LFers to do the urban landscape.

Jon,

I, for one, want to hike with an 8x10. I'll happily carry the 4x5 kit of someone who doesnt want to.

Well, in all honesty, I don't find too much interesting with the urban landscape - at least industrial ruins. If we could find something interesting that we'd all like to shoot - how about some architecture in a relatively safe area, or something around central park?

Or how about just all getting together and exchanging ideas, etc.?

There is an active group based in western, MA. So I don't agree with Jason's assertion that there is nothing going on in the East Coast. I suggest that New Yorkers consider starting a large format urban guerilla photography group - I'd love to attend their outings. While folks like Jason could concentrate on exploring the wilds of New Jersey.

multiplex

there is a chapters of the society of industrial archaeology in new hampshire / massachusetts / rhode island, and there are always historic industrial sites to document.

http://www.siahq.org/

Why not View Camera sponsorship of alternate year East Coast/ West Coast LF symposiums? Is there such a thing as an East Coast school of photography that is distinctive from the Adams/Weston West Coast school? Are there photogenic areas within the East Coast that can rival Big Sur, Yosemite, etc.?
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

If you have a conference in Ashville you can count me in!

Thanks,

Don Bryant

New Hampshire would be a great place for an east coast LF conference during the summer - a quick one hour drive to the famous and beautiful White Mountains or the rugged NH seacoast from Manchester, NH. I would be pleased to host the conference at the NH Institute of Art where we have the best photography teaching facility in northern New England and easy access via the Manchester Airport. Please let me know if there is interest in organizing such a conference here - we could have workshops, an exhibition and field trips here at the NH Institute of Art. Gary Samson Chair, Photography Dept.

Asheville is perfect. There are 100s of beautiful waterfalls all along the Blue Ridge escarpment, the highest elevation east of the Mississippi River (Mt Mitchell) is only a short distance away. The Smokies are nearby. The Blue Ridge Pkwy along with its grand vistas passes through the area. Vast acres of national forest cover most of the western NC mtns. Have the conference there and you can count me in too.